The need for speed, or how to get there in a shorter amount of time

Also, those bits I linked to are single flute instead of 2-flute, but Ryan recommends single flute anyhow.

I do the same thing and it has saved my butt too many times to count. I either take a pic of the screen or I just write it down on the spoilboard somewhere if my phone isn’t handy

2 Likes

You’ve lost me here, is one of these supposed to be mm/sec? Presumably the first one?

Yes, sorry.

[EDIT: corrected] Feedrate: 93.3 mm/sec (i.e. 5600 mm/min)

If you upload the file I can see what I could achieve time-wise to give you a realistic benchmark of what is possible. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m working on getting GWizard up and running, what should I list as Max Feedrate? From this forum post, I’m seeing 50mm/sec. Which would be 3000 mm/min, correct?

Here’s the file I’m working with:
Sean.dxf (482.3 KB)

I do jobs with feed rates faster than that. I did some cutting in plastic at almost 84 mm/sec, and the GWizard recommendation for the 1mm deep cuts in hardwood, with the 1/8" endmill, given above, was almost 94 mm/sec. So, I’d say to set your max feed rate higher than 50 mm/sec, unless you are wanting to play it safe for now and revisit that later.

The normal logic of going deeper and staying at the lower feedrate, normally makes sense, but when you also consider the issue of deflection on smaller bits like the 1/8" then it can make sense to do a shallower cut with a faster feed rate. Of course you can take it easy, reducing both your feedrate and your RPM on a shallow cut, and just take more time on the job. But the machine can probably do more than you think, provided you have the right depth of cut and feeds and speeds, and are taking deflection into account.

I’m working on adding the various bits I have to GWizard. Adding my initial tool there was a nice picture asking me for various dimensions of the tool. Adding the second tool, it’s just a form with fields. Is there any way to get the first interface back, I can’t seem to find it.

When I am in my Tool Crib, and I tap on “New Tool”, and then tap on the dropdown beside “Type” it brings up that nice interface.

1 Like

I have Estlcam telling me it takes 05:29 minutes. Since it’s a bit off with carves it might be closer to 10 minutes. E12 file in the attachment. I used a 10mm 60° V-Endmill for the calculation.

Sean.zip (1.3 MB)

Something like this?

This one: Sorotec Online-Shop - VHM-Gravierfräser

Used a 60 degree bit. Estlcam claimed roughly 10 minutes if I left the depth to auto. Gave it a shot, and got this in 30 minutes. Yes, Estlcam was way off.

It looks like I’ll need to change bits a few times. The small lettering appears to be too fine for the 60 degree bit. And the auto depth for the padre is too deep, killing quite a bit of the detail.

But seems like a good first pass.

2 Likes

Question, does the slight burning here mean I should be using a higher feed rate?

Burning is always an indication that either your feed rate is too slow, or your RPMs are too fast or both. Particularly challenging with V bits. I would try nudging the RPMs down a little, and nudging the feed right up a little and see what kind of result you get.

1 Like

Looking good! You’re off to a great start!

Another question. Between each individual cut, the toolhead raised quite a bit, like 30-50mm above the surface. Is that normal?

Depends on your clearance plane setting in EstlCAM. What is yours set for?

Odd, don’t recall setting that, but it’s set to 50.8mm.