The most 'production' SAAS thing I think I've ever done at home

Just setup Mealie for storing recipes here at the house. I’m tired of scrolling through 10 blog pages to get to a recipe. Mealie’s coolest function is the ability to easily import a recipe from a link to the blogpost.

Why is this a big deal? I actually took the time to set it up like I would an environment at work.

I set up a coreOS vm in vSphere. There I run the mealie container. I also have a caddy container running to handle SSL encryption. The Let’s Encrypt validation is done through DNS based validation.

I’m using a Jenkins pipeline running in another VM to build the caddy container and it’s stored in a local docker repo running in my environment as well.

docker-compose starts up the stack on the vm.

A nightly cron job runs that backs up the mealie database to a .tar.gz file on my nfsserver that then gets backed up to S3 glacier.

The only thing I didn’t do is set up an ansible script to create the backup.sh, backup.service, and backup.timer files.

All the code/files are stored in github… cause where else would I put them.

No sure why I did all this. I just kept saying, “Well if I did that, I might as well do this”… until it was done.

Most of the time when I set something up, I get to MVP and just stop. Too busy using it at that point to keep building/configuring. Even my MP3DPv4 has things I still need to finish on it.

Anyone else ever feel like they went slightly overboard on a project at home just for the sake of “might as well” ?

1 Like

I keep thinking the next project will need a home lab server. And then I find a way to do it in a container on my homeassistant blue.

Someday…

1 Like

I see on reddit these peeps buying hardware!! I donot think they know the heat and electricity they have!! Yeah the were cheap!! But dang.

My Dell 810 costs me $15/month in electricity.

But it does have 26tb of storage.

2 Likes

I love my home lab. It’s so much fun. It’s great for testing new apps and utilities.

I’m a devops engineer, so I’m always testing new utilities. If a new one doesn’t work out, just destroy the vm.

2 Likes