The Great Alaskan Lowrider

Wow. That is some great work.

1 Like

Awesome gallery of work. Makes me smile to see it for sure.

1 Like

Yo Cliffhanger! Hello from fellow Alaskan. Waving from Kotzebue.

Awesome build! I plan to build one inside a shipping container this winter.

-Wayne

1 Like

Never made it out there! You’ll definitely earn the title of farthest north MPCNC!

1 Like

Hey Wayne, thanks for the appreciation. Its been a lot of fun so far. Good luck with your build, now that the V2 is out, should be a good one. I went for a smaller table, and didn’t do a full size for 4 ft wide sheets, and I wish I had actually gone the whole width for that option. Going to upgrade mine here eventually, just getting used to actually enjoying this one before I tear it apart for the V2.

I’d like to get up north more and see the rest of AK. I’m here in Seward now, and barely make it even up to Anchorage these days. Looks nice up there, maybe some day I’ll make it that a way.

1 Like

Well, I decided to do the upgrade to the Lowrider2. Took the whole thing apart and organised all the parts, had a buy some more bits and bobs but not too bad overall. I know I read that plywood might not be good for the sides, but this stuff I found is pretty tough and looks really nice to boot. So I’m thinking it’ll be okay. printed the parts over the last week. So now I’m just waiting on the wider 10mm belt and parts. In the meantime, I have one half built, and I should be able to get it assembled here today or tomorrow maybe.

I really like the new version so far. I’ll be outfitting this one with all of the suction and everything from the get go this time. So that means Ill need to get some angle stock for the hose/wires. I like that whole suction and wire organization a lot on Ryan’s setup: very clean.

I need to ask a dumb question though to make sure I’ve got my drivers set right on my RAMPS. Cant find where I referenced last time. What should the Voltage be set to on each? The Y and Z are wired in series and the X is on its own.

New halves:

[attachment file=69888]

Tearing it down:

[attachment file=69889]
[attachment file=69890]
Cut this out a couple weeks back, came out great, except I was having issues with my Z axis not raising correctly, hence the extra cut on the return trip at the bottom. So I just did it in one long, through-all cut. This new build will replace the motor I think was being the problem.

[attachment file=69891]

Using my drivers drv’s should be pretty good at 0.7V There is some room to go higher but you should not need to.

1 Like

Got everything together and cleaned up. Ran some tests and calibrations last night and it all seems to be working great. Its definitely lighter than the previous design, but doesn’t seem to be a problem so far with anything. Cant wait to get some good runs in and really put it to the test. Suction fit up real nice and seems to be working just fine so far. A lot of sucking power on the cnc side so I’m looking forward to seeing that in action. I’ll probably add some kind of a soft foam shroud around the x plate. WooHoo!!

[attachment file=70737]
[attachment file=70738]

Heck yeah!