Texas Primo (Upgrading a part Burly/part 525)

I tried to have my old Burly drill out all the holes and counterbores for the new spoil board, forgetting that it wasn’t level. Had to drill out like 50-60 of the counterbores by hand because they were too shallow.

Ha,ha. Yeah, I’ve had issues with them in the past. I was originally planning on using extruded aluminum t-tracks but then I realized that would run over $100 so I change direction to go the t-nut route. Was planning on using the finished machine to drill and c’bore all of the holes and then install the nuts and flip it over and screw the spoil board down. But I like your plan better.

Do you plan on having any located outside of your working area that you’d have to drill out manually?

No. My spoil board is above the base, so having any outside the cut plate wouldn’t work.

Got the rest of the inserts installed. This is going to be so much nicer than just screwing through the material.

7 Likes

Where did you find those clamps on the right? I’m looking for some cam clamps.

I downloaded this guy’s dxf file and modified his clamps to work with the 1/4" hardware:

I’ve never done this before. If you’re using f360, see if this link works

1 Like

I finally got my LCD up off of the ground. I made a little mount that dovetails into a faceplate so I can slide the scree on/off the wall as needed.

If anyone else needs one:

7 Likes

I learned a lot from this video. https://youtu.be/upELI0HmzHc

There are many like it, but I use something simple like lines. hope this helps and bummer on the long print

I like your controller box… mind sharing the file?

I had someone else ask about it the other day. I’ll try to get it up on thingiverse later today.

1 Like

Sorry for the delay. Here’s my controller box:

1 Like

Thanks David!

1 Like

Nothing too fancy to report here. I haven’t been using the MPCNC too much lately. I went to use it the other day and the raspberry pi I use to run cnc.js was acting up. I was in a crunch, so did that project manually using the scroll saw.

This weekend I played around and got it up and running again. I re-ran one of the cuts from the last project and it cut quite well.

I’m not doing anything too fancy with it today, but I am making some decent chips in Purple heart. I’m making a magnetic knife block to hold some custom kitchen knives I bought. Final project is a solid block of purple heart with an Ikea magnetic knife holder embedded in the back.

I took a short video of the chips being cut.

It’s raw video, so turn your volume down first

4 Likes

Well. The cut went well, but the knife holder won’t work. Even with as thin as I made the wood, the magnets aren’t strong enough to hold knives.

I’m thinking I’ll start over with the design. Maybe I’ll use larger, round magnets that are evenly spaced instead of the smaller strip magnets that the Ikea holder uses. I have more testing/playing to do.

Maybe I should be testing with pine instead of the purple heart :confused:

I ordered some of the 1.26" super-strong magnets off Amazon. Let’s see if these hold better. If they do, then all will not be lost.

https://www.magnet4less.com/home, that place has it all and SUPER strong ones are available.

2 Likes

I’ve used K&J on work projects for years. They have a great calculator you can use to get estimated holding force for different separation distances, magnet materials, magnet sizes…

1 Like

I’m still having issues with the core wobbling on the x and y axis. I’ve come to conclusion that it’s something wrong with the pipes. Either the thickness is off or the ever so slight bend in the pipe when I first got them is causing issues.

Today I ordered some 1" stainless steel from metalsdepot. I’m going to replace the X-Y cross bars, all 4 of the side bars and I went ahead and ordered new Z pipes… cause why not.

When they come in I’ll replace them and see if my wobble issue goes away.

Min wiggled but the parts holding the pipes to the core broke under the bolt head and didn’t show till disassembled I sure caused by over tightening on my part

I had some time in the shop while waiting for paint to dry, so I replaced the one easy pipe to get to with the stainless steel one. Just replacing the one pipe has reduced the amount of wobble I can do using my hand. One of my pipe camps is broken, so I need to print a new one.

My wife has a project I need to cut for her, so I need to get this pipes replaced soon.

3 Likes