Texas Primo (Upgrading a part Burly/part 525)

Lol. I was including some keystone geometry in my design to use the CAT5 cable routing concept but I guess I could add that to your design. Will give it some thought. :grin:

Progress will be slow the next few days as I work around other projects.

I did sneak out to the shop on my lunch break and get a new build platform installed in the old enclosure. Had to bump up in length and width to fit the new feet. Luckily the enclosure is plenty wide for the steppers to still fit and run back and forth correctly (I think). I’m just hoping our test fitting last night was true.

I used 3/4" exterior grade plywood that I then sanded down so that I don’t get splinters. The spoilboard will be surfaced by the router, so this surface being perfectly flat is a little less of an issue.

I may end up needing to cut longer legs, though. I need to redo the math and make sure I have the clearance I want with the current legs.

I also have plans to move the existing power supply and on/off switch to a better location.

Gonna try to make some progress on the primo tonight, but first gotta turn this guy on in the shop…

1 Like

I couldn’t wait to get it moving…

First Moves! Still need to wire the Y axis, but the X and Z move. This machine seems to be quite a bit quieter than the last one.

6 Likes

You had conduit before, right? I wonder if that was the source of the noise.

I like that you took a really long time to try the Burly/T8 upgrades, but you are right on the bleeding edge with the Primo. This is fun to watch.

@niget2002 Can you share a link to the quick disconnect connectors you’re using?

Sure thing.

Here’s the 4 pin connectors.

I use these on my panels. The silver connector is one of these too, but a two pin for the spindle.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D7SHKGK?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I finished wiring up the Y axis. I need to do some wire management.

I also discovered that my controller is too low. Good thing I planned on moving it.

2 Likes

There she sits. All put back together. Just need to drop a spoil board on it and make some dust.

Cable management took a couple of tries. I had things too tight and the Y axis was sticking.

8 Likes

Get. It. Dirty. :+1:

Looks great.

My next shop WILL have ac.

1 Like

It aint hot till 110 or 100 and 70% humiditythen you in trouble

1 Like

Started cleaning up from the build and a little concerned I didn’t open this bag at all…

1 Like

I’m a wimp… This is on the opposite wall from the AC. I have the AC set at 85F

I love my AC.

2 Likes

IIRC, those are M2.5 and they are for the endstops.

I don’t mind cold. I don’t mind precipitation. I don’t mind heat. I can’t stand wind and I can’t stand humidity. I’ve been acclimated by Colorado, I guess.

1 Like

End stop screws.

2 Likes

Thanks for the links!

Ah. I’m not using endstop switches. I did use the end stops to keep the rails consistent, but I mounted them upside down so they hit the face of the trucks.

Couple of things I’ve learned…

The screws mounting the steppers to the trucks are a pain to get to while mounted to the rail.

If you plan on removing the steppers in the future, make sure you can get a screwdriver to them between your table top and then screw heads.

Tightening the belts require a short screwdriver if you have your machine mounted in an enclosure. I have a right angle screwdriver I used.

3 Likes

I like the colour scheme.
And I see you also have no space to make it a walk-around machine.

Probably Ryan’s safety margin.