Temple Texas Primo build (Upgrade from a burly)

Marlin doesn’t support Idle current. That’s lame. On my printer I have it set to like 20%, kills the stepper hiss when it’s just sitting there.

I remember a thread where someone thought it was reducing the torque on the Z motor while milling, because the Z was staying still. The Z was dropping while milling. I can’t honestly remember if that fixed it, or we just suspected it and we found something else.

I turned off the “StealthChop” option assuming that is what you are referring to in the Marlin configuration files. I spent most of the rest of the day trying to get Marlin to quit releasing the motors after the job completes. I turn my router on and off manually and when the job completes, the router drops to the surface if I don’t catch it first. I went through every configuration option I could find in the Marlin configuation files. I must have built and rebuild the firmware 15 times trying to find some relief, but never could get any of the X,Y, or Z axis to stay energized after the job.

I finally added gcode to move the router to back left parking spot and placed a block there to catch the router when it falls so as not to drive the spinning bit into the table.

Here is the last configuration I used that still didn’t work.
----------In configuration.h---------------
// Disables axis stepper immediately when it’s not being used.
// WARNING: When motors turn off there is a chance of losing position accuracy!
#define DISABLE_X false
#define DISABLE_Y false
#define DISABLE_Z false

--------In configuration_adv.h----------
// Default stepper release if idle. Set to 0 to deactivate.
// Steppers will shut down DEFAULT_STEPPER_DEACTIVE_TIME seconds after the last move when DISABLE_INACTIVE_? is true.
// Time can be set by M18 and M84.
#define DEFAULT_STEPPER_DEACTIVE_TIME 1200
#define DISABLE_INACTIVE_X false
#define DISABLE_INACTIVE_Y false
#define DISABLE_INACTIVE_Z false // Set to false if the nozzle will fall down on your printed part when print has finished.
#define DISABLE_INACTIVE_E false

.//In SD section
#define SD_FINISHED_STEPPERRELEASE false // Disable steppers when SD Print is finished
define SD_FINISHED_RELEASECOMMAND “G0X40” // Use “M84XYE” to keep Z enabled so your bed stays in place

I am looking for suggestions as how to solve this though the parking option works ok,

This is usually the idle timeout. Repetier host has a checkmark for disabling the steppers at the end of a print job.

If it isn’t giving you 20 minutes to catch it, then it is probably something explicitly turning it off. You can also look for M84 in your gcode.

Well, I’m not using host software, I’m running the gcode from an SD card plugged into the TFT35 display.

I have checked my gcode file by setting up a simple circle . There is nothing in the gcode file but an absolute position command at the start(G90) and a bunch of move and arc commands. The job completes as expected, move to 0,0, then releases the motors immediately, no delay.
G90
G0Z10
G0X0Y0
G0X8.890Y11.430Z6.350
G1Z-1F762.0
G1Y64.770F2540.0
G2X12.700Y68.580I3.810J0.000
G1X177.800
G2X181.610Y64.770I0.000J-3.810
G1Y11.430
G2X177.800Y7.620I-3.810J0.000
G1X12.700
G2X8.890Y11.430I0.000J3.810
G0Z10
G0X0Y0

I also tried setting the idle timeout to 0 as the documentation states that will disable the release, but nope.

Found the problem with the motors releasing. The TFT35 firmware has a configuration.h that has the following default content …
//===================================================
/**

• Start/End/Cancel G-code - runs after a print starts, ends, or canceled.
    */
    // Start G-code
    #define PRINT_START_GCODE “G28 XY R10\n” // Raise Z 10mm before homing X & Y

// End G-code - run this G-code after finishing print
#define PRINT_END_GCODE “G90\nG1 E-4\nG92 E0\nM18\n”

// Cancel G-code - run this G-code after canceling print
#define CANCEL_PRINT_GCODE “G28 XY R10\n” // Raise Z 10mm before homing X & Y
//======================================================

There is an unwanted M18 in the end gcode to disable all steppers. I’ll try to fix that tomorrow but it looks like the culprit.

1 Like

Well, the saga with the dropping z-axis continues. The TFT End Gcode was not the problem as it was disabled by default. I found a work around by using a M0 gcode command in my end code which causes the system to pause and then prompt me to continue. I can turn the router off at that point and then hit ok in the prompt window to resume. I then have more end code to move the router over to a parking spot at the back left corner of the work area. When the router falls, the router body hits a block to stop the router bit from touching the table. Works well enough that I am giving up on finding a cure for the falling z.

I downloaded a trial copy of Vcarve Desktop to play with it. Had to modify a post processor for it to accomodate my falling Z solution. Ran several trials with Vcrave gcode files with very good fidelity and success with the end code solution.

Tomorrow I am going to try one of the demo signs that Vcarve provides in their trial period. I’ll post the result. I am seriously considering plopping down the $360 bucks for Vcarve and then generate most of my artwork in Inkscape which I love. I tried Estlcam but want something a little more powerful for 3d carving, lithography, etc.

I still think it is the screen, or it is at the end of the gcode. You could try sending from a computer to see, but it sounds like youd prefer to work around it (which is a really useful skill to have!).

First real test of Primo on a sign. Material is mdf, 60 degree v-bit, 55 in/min cutting speed,1/8" depth of cut. Could have easily gone deeper or faster in mdf. Detail and smoothness were great at this speed. Have to test in hardwood next. I like it! I like it!

Well, now I’m gonna take a step back, mount a vacuum under the table, print a dust collection attachment, put in 110volt switch and plugins for vacuum,router, and power supply. Then build a soundproofing shroud around the vacuum and mpcnc with a hinged top. Should be a sweet setup when I’m done. I’ll post a picture when its complete.

9 Likes

That is a very deep carve, especially in MDF! That looks really really nice.

Looking good! Mind posting some detail photos of the corners and long straight sections? Curious if such a heavy cut shows evidence of any flex in the center.

The resolution of the image will allow you to zoom in close for the detail. Just copy the photo to your computer and use your favorite photo viewer to zoom in. I have already messed it up trying to paint the grooves so you couldn’t see much now.

The grooves were not made in one pass. I believe it took 6 passes to cut that outside perimeter, 4 rough cuts and 2 finishing cuts. Even the finer detail on the sign was made in 2 passes. I set it for a 1/8" depth of cut per pass so there was hardly any burden on the vbit. 1/8 inch deep on a 60 degree bit is less than 1/8 of width. The entire sign took 20 minutes tops. I was so excited to see it produce something that I didn’t keep close track of the time. 55 in/min is moving pretty good but not doing much cutting with a vbit.

I did find this photo I took when I took the other one.

6 Likes

Really nice! How are you attaching your gantry cable support angle?

2 Likes

I used this from my burly build. The angle holder bracket mounted with the two top screws on the stepper. Since the steppers are in a different configuration on the primo, the bracket will no longer bolt to the steppers.

I kluged it. Cut a small piece of hardwood that would wedge in the end of the pipe and put a wood screw through the bracket into the hardwood. I was so eager to get it going that I just made it work. Will probable design and print a piece to fit in both ends of the pipe when I get time.

2 Likes

I did buy it.
Very easy to use. You can do a lot of the art work in vcarv.
I bought it after I did the same sign you did.

2 Likes

Nice! I have not yet done anything in a hardwood yet. The jury is still out for me on purchasing Vcarve. Still evaluating. What features led you to buy it as opposed to something else?

My purpose in building the machine is primarily for sign making with relief carving. I am also into intarsia and hope to incorporate some of those designs glued to into the sign. Example of my instarsia below.

I am also still looking at Estlcam as it seems pretty popular with the MPCNC crowd. Just haven’t determined if it meets my needs yet. It is certainly a cheaper option!

6 Likes

Which flavor did you get and for casual users which version would you recommend looking into.

I think they have the Vcarv and the Vcarv pro.
I did not get the pro version.
With The standard version you have up to a 24x24 inch work area and the pro is unlimited.
At anytime you can upgrade for (as they say) a small upgrade fee.
In my head I decided to go inexpensive and if I need to go bigger at a later date I can.
The thing with the free version (if I remembercorrectly) you can only cut the sample projects they have but you can create the tool path for anything you want, so you can learn the software. Its great so far with 2d, 2.5d and full on flip the board and do 3d.
Mine was a Xmas gift so with 8 people chipping in it didn’t hurt that bad %).

I did do some testing vs Estlcam and found the vcarv engraving to be substantially more efficient on the tool path and that equals a faster cut.

Looking at their web site, looks like the Vcarv is now the VCarve Desktop. $349. Since my Primo will be 26 by 14, the 24 square limitation would not apply so the Desktop version will be the one I will look at.
Thanks