Table Advice

Looking for advice on a building a table. What do you like and/or dislike about your table? What would you do different if you were to go back and build it again? What have you seen other people do that you wish you had done?

I overbuilt, using 4x4 posts for the legs. It would have been cheaper and no more difficult or unstable to have used 2x4s instead. On the other hand I did use 2x4s around the top, so I have a nice solid surface to mount to on the top edges.

After I built my table and got things up and running I added a slide out piece to put my computer/tablet and tools and stuff on. That was a great addition. The whole thing is built out of cheap 2x4s and mdf.

I have some 3/4" B-grade plywood on hand. Would that work as a top/spoil board? MDF is hard to find and expensive around here.

That’d work just fine. My spoil board is a mess of lines and cuts and I’ve hardly broke it in yet! (Part of that is being more accurate with cut depths of course.)

I’m going to pick up some thin (1/2” or 3/4”) foam panels to put under my workpiece to try to give my spoil board a break. Maybe those ceiling panel inserts would work well.