SVG with 100 shapes -- please suggest good MPCNC workflow

I have 100 shapes in a single SVG file that I need to cut out one by one.

The CNC will need to be reloaded with material after each shape is cut.

I’ve only ever cut a test crown (some time ago) so I’m not super experienced with this kind of thing.

Please describe a basic workflow that I can follow that would make sense.

I will assume Estlcam, in no small part because that’s what I use…

Load your SVG into estlcam, and pick an appropriate scaling

Use “hole”, “part”, or “engrave” as need be for just the lines of the part you want.

Set the zero point to somewhere that makes sense for that shape.

Save the project if you want to be able to make changes later.

Load the SVG again to remove all cut references, repeat for the next shape.

Repeat as many times as you need.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot.

I now feel confident that I am going into this in a way that makes sense and is not a huge waste of time.

1 Like

Sorry if I am missing something, but is it true that I will have to export gcode from estlcam one time for each shape (100 times)?

My understanding is that estlcam is for generating gcode and that a program such as repetier host is required to do that actual cutting.

Yes, or you cut everything from one piece of wood, then you do it once.

If this is true, then you will need a separate gcode file for each shape.

I first thought that this was going to be a huge pain (amd it kind of is). But if you have to use a different work piece for 100 shapes, then the CAM is the least of your worries.

If you can, just make a couple of them and make sure you learn as much as you can. Then only do the batch of shapes after you have a handle on what works (and what doesn’t).

Jimmy Diresta says you “go to school on the first one”. Then you make progress.

Yeah, this actually makes a lot of sense to me.

I think that the first thing that I will need to reconcile is the fact that SVG doesn’t scale right when opened in estlcam.

Once I get past this and do some cuts then I’ll just get better and better at it I guess.