Strut Plate SVG Generator 404

(Sorry if this is the wrong place for this and/or if this is a dup topic! I promise I searched before creating a new thread)

Just a heads up to Ryan or whomever manages the docs site: I went to download my custom strut plate svg on the Lowrider calculator page (LowRider V3 Calculator - V1 Engineering Documentation) and got this 404:

This was the URL: https://docs.v1engineering.com/lowrider/lr3_strut/svg_0/lr3-strut-plate-variable_470.svg

3 Likes

Hello @jdwolk ! Thanks for the context and info about the problem you’re running into.

What Usable Cutting Area will your LR3 Build have?

LR3 Calculator currently expects usable area to be 300mm (12inches) or larger. The smallest custom Strut .SVG available to download is 480mm, would that work for your build? If so, is available at
https://docs.v1engineering.com/lowrider/lr3_strut/svg_0/lr3-strut-plate-variable_480.svg

For curious coders out there, this changelist added .SVGs to doc subfolders, generated using @jamiek’s OpenSCAD Strut generator script, from 480mm to 1700mm.

Context about when and why LR3 Custom Strut .SVG download was added to LR3 Calculator can be found within LR3 Release Notes topic. Found reading through that entire topic very helpful for my LR3 build.

2 Likes

It’s also possible to just make your own directly with OpenSCAD using @jamiek 's parametric design:

https://www.printables.com/model/206716-lr3-strut-plate-variable

I believe that is the original location for the source lr3-strut-plate-variable.scad file and I believe the generator noted above in the gitub changelist is using that same file as an input to the command line processing.

2 Likes

Ah that explains it then! My build is 11.5” X by 21” Y (I was shooting for exactly 24” by 36” table size)

@Makerjim thx for the link to the Openscad file! I havent used Openscad but I can probably figure out how to tweak the params

1 Like

I’m realizing that @azab2c created a video on how to use OpenSCAD to make those changes.
See below:

This was in the LR3 release notes thread-

5 Likes

Sweet thankya! Just watched the vid and it looks super painless

1 Like

The error is it is spitting out MM strut plates on the Inch caclulator. Looking for help now.

I thought the error was that it was trying to find a file that was too small. They are all going to be metric though, right?

1 Like

Yes, that’s what JD encountered. Going to :

• Add boundary check with a prompt to help avoid User confusion.
  • Fix bug with text displayed in the download link. Correct mm SVG still downloads, providing is 480mm - 1700mm.
1 Like

Yeah thank you guys.

The other error I hot was a user emailed, and they were trying to get one that was too large.

Sent pull request…

Cool, Ryan already approved and merged. LR3 Size Calculator is updated already. I needed to clear browser cache to see updated behavior. Let me know if any issues. Cheers!

Thank you!

1 Like

It seems to be rounding the inch files a bit too coarse. Seems like every 10mm instead of every 1 mm.

Yep, I made Strut Length inch-to-mm conversion follow the same pre existing logic already in LR3 Calc

From GitHub

@vicious1 @jeffeb3, do you know/remember why the inch-to-mm conversion rounded to 10mm? Does that logic still make sense?

Want me to edit Strut Length calc to nearest 1mm (instead of 10mm)? Struts dimensions will be more accurate for people’s builds if their Tubes were measured-n-cut using imperial unit lengths.

Isn’t that 0.1?

* 0.1 is same as dividing by 10.  And dividing by 0.1 is same as multiplying by 10.  

So, the following (overly clever compact?) existing code…

metricNum = Math.round(imperialNum * 25.4 * 0.1) / 0.1

Is functionally same as…

metricNum = Math.round(imperialNum * 25.4 / 10) * 10

And…

metricNum = imperialNum * 25.4  // Convert to metric
metricNum -= (metricNum % 10)   // Round to nearest 10mm.  

All that said, I can’t think of good reason for inch-to-mm conversion being rounded to nearest 10mm. So, am submitting edit that rounds Strut length to nearest mm. I should have done this when I first added Struts to LR3 Calc.

That just made my eye twitch, :rofl:

I am sure that was my fault. I really appreciate you fixing it!

Submitted pull request with small edit. This better?

1 Like

Yeah. The “step” in the comment was the step parameter on one of the input boxes. It determines how much the value changes when you scroll the wheel or click the little arrows.

The step was 10mm, and sp the coversion had to sink into one of those steps, or swapping back and forth would mess it up.

That’s what I remember anyway. I am AFK now.

2 Likes