Steppers moved but no longer respond

I’m working on my first Primo. It’s using the SKR Pro 1.2 and all the stock parts from V1E. I powered it on, it booted, and I was able to move the steppers in all three axes. However, after a few test moves, all axes just stopped responding to the touchscreen.

The issue persists through restarts and power cycles. All my connections are solid. The screen looks as below - did I do something odd? Anything I can do to fix?

Push and hold the shaft of the control on the display for a few seconds and release. This will put the display in Marlin mode. In this mode, you will be interacting directly with Marlin rather than sending commands to Marlin. Using the Marlin menus, attempt to move the steppers. If they move, then your issue will be with the communication between the display and Marlin. If they don’t move, then your issue is elsewhere in the machine.

If the issue is “elsewhere” look at the LEDs on the SKR Pro board to verify you have power for all three voltages (12V/24V, 5V, and 3.3V).

After you run the Marlin mode test, post back with the results and we can guide further troubleshooting.

1 Like

Marlin Mode moves the steppers without issues.

1 Like

There are three cables that connect the display to the control board. The pair of (usually gray) similar cables are used in Marlin mode. The other cable (usually black) is used to communicate in TTF mode. Disconnect and reseat the third cable.

Oh yeah, the cable having come out of the plug would definitely do it! Gonna have to dig up some JST plugs to terminate those guys. Thanks so much for the help!

Any chance there’s a guide on what to do if your endstops trigger on the board but don’t stop the gantry from moving if they do trigger?

I find that low-temp hot glue is a great way of assuring that non-locking plugs stay engaged while also allowing them to be unplugged at a later date.

Any chance there’s a guide on what to do if your endstops trigger on the board but don’t stop the gantry from moving if they do trigger?

Endstops are only looked at by Marlin during homing. They are ignored at other times. If this is an issue during homing, then there is a known problem with some SKR Pro boards. The fixes are: 1) replace the board, or 2) add pullup resistors to the endstops, or 3 disconnect (cut the traces or remove) the LEDs associated with the endstops. There is no specific guide but there are a number of posts on the forum that outline this issue and the fixes.

Reseating the endstop cables to the board did the trick - I could have sworn I had them down nice and firm, and they were in the spots called out by the directions, but clearly there was an imbalance of humours on the board in which an unplugging was necessary.

Thank you very much for the help!

1 Like