Stepper shaft is too short

Had to figure out what the heck for some closure…

The Primo was designed with older pulleys. The new beefy ones are considerably bigger.

I am getting the new steppers with the longer D cut, and the primo might need to have the pulley flipped with the new pulleys.

Mystery solved.

1 Like

Man finally got my primo assembled and I thought I had the pulleys flipped and aligned but the belt is just barely rubbing on the pulley flange. I even sanded a bit off the grabber end to push the pulley closer to the NEMA. But as soon as I have the belts taught X and Y for sure have too much drag on them. Ryan do you have any of the stubbier pullies to sell? It feels like I am driving with the parking brake on!

Can you post some pictures. Maybe pulleys in both directions.

The gap on the belt is about .060 wide. I think I will just put like 3 3mm washers under the mount screws and just shim it to the middle. I will let you know if that works.
These NEMAs are from my earlier Burley model that I bought from you a few years back… So they may have an even shorter shaft.

That pulley is as close as you can get it to the stepper, like put a piece of paper in as a shim and lock it down? The idlers and pulley both have a little over 1mm of extra room. If they are in line they are fine. If it is not it would start to leave some belt residue on the truck.

Adding washers is also fine.

Yes I even sanded the end of the pulley a bit to get it further onto the shaft. I removed material almost to the grabber threads. But it is for sure dragging on all 4 NEMAs. If the washer shims work I will let ya all know. That is a cheap fix. Probably should call them steppers not NEMAs since that is just the size standard!

I got the kit in January and looks like maybe I got the shorter steppers, but they’re long enough to work with.

That’s how mine look as well. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I need to take a look, sounds like some edits are needed.

At least for me it’s my own fault, bought steppers where the shaft was too short.

Length has nothing to do wi… Wait, which forum is this? Never mind… Carry on…

2 Likes

You must not be in texas lmao

The one part were size does matter.

have you solve the problem?