Status on Lowrider 4

I have two posts from March which I will cut and paste here for your info, I’m sorry for whatever reason I can’t reduce the image size from the cut and paste :

[quote=“jeffeb3, post:301, topic:40835”]
Woodworkers make pipe clamps from the black pipes. They are heavy duty. Are they consistent at all internationally?
[/quote]

They should be, but I think I am correct in saying black pipe comes primed here , and black pipe is just not feasible because they’d rust in a minute so the woodwork shops sell gal pipe for that purpose.

From a quick internet search 1" OD is by far the most consistent size to source across a broad range of retailers. The three images above are from major national chains.

A marine shop SS tube @ $22.00 per metre (2m lengths)
Our only “Lowes” style big box hardware store(Bunnings) Gal Tube @ $7.50 per metre but in 3m lengths
Primed steel pipe @ $10.00 per metre.

Note I bought my polished SS tube from a balustrade supplier for close to the cost of the primed pipe, cut to size so no waste, only paying for what I needed. They also ship nationally.

@vicious1 at the moment at least, I find it hard to believe there’s a supply problem for 25.4mm OD / 1" in Aus, and I know lots have used the Bunnings Gal tube.

[quote=“vicious1, post:305, topic:40835”]
What is the next size up? I am trying to go one size above the current 25.4mm.
[/quote]

If anyone else here is from Aus, please feel free to correct me if you have a different source.

There’s no one-size fits all - but nominally 31.8 (31.75) seems to be available - I am looking at our “Bunnings” because most Aus builders have access to them, and there will almost certainly be trade stockists who can supply. Price for 3m lengths

My SS balustrade supplier also has stock in that size. They do ship around the country, but there will be lots of others - it’s just not intuitive for many to search “stainless steel balustrade solutions” when looking for parts for a CNC! Price per metre cut to length.

“Black” pipe from a plumbing supplier gets very confusing - a 33.7mm OD pipe has a 25mm threaded end!
I will pay them a visit next week and see what I can find out over-the-counter, (6.5 m length)

“My” supplier referenced above is Wellington Enterprises - bought initially through an eBay listing - but they have a real factory and will ship Australia Wide.
https://wellingtonenterprises.com.au

3 Likes