Starting my R2-LR3

Me too please. :smiley:

Not a whole lot to report. I am in a waiting phase right now as I have printed just about everything I think I need to get started (maybe :man_shrugging:). I am now “patiently” awaiting the delivery of my order form V1 (Ordered late Friday, and had a shipping notification on Saturday…did not expect that at all! Thanks @vicious1 for working on this over the weekend, but thought you would have taken some time off!! Workaholic!!). I cleaned up some of my EMT (for the gantry), and need to do that with the Y-rail still. Need to look at the table and talking with @DougJoseph for his table plans. Going to redo my outfeed table. I think I am going to wait for the major assembly of the machine until I have the table set up to make sure It will work the way I want it.

Outside of that, just waiting on the good ol’ USPS…

3 Likes

Yeah buddy!!!

4 Likes

Sorry…I have not really updated this topic, but there has not been a whole lot of movement on my build yet.

TL;DR - kit mostly put together, need table built (table saw issues), procrastinating in cutting struts, and life has led to a slight delay. The force has not been strong with this build!!

So…
After I received my kit from v1, I do have all the pieces (for the most part) put together. I have been stalled at putting the struts/rails on to start getting the gantry together. I am also working on getting my table saw outfeed table/cart redone as I will be using that as my LR3 table as well.

With my plans to redo my table, I decided to save a little bit of $$ and get a few 2x8x10’s to cut down to the 2x4 sized pieces I would need. In cutting the untreated pine 2x8s, my saw was bogging down, and actually stalled once and tripped the 20amp breaker it is on. Then the pulley on the arbor shook itself loose, so needless to say that is put on hold (more on that in a few).

I also need to get my Maslow back up and running so I can get the struts cut. I did not print the temp ones as I have the Maslow that can cut the permanent ones out. I have them all designed out, but need to still get it back together. The hemming and hawing I have for that though is I am on the Kickstarter for the new Maslow M4, and those should be shipping soon, so I am debating on if I set up the old one, only to take it apart to put the M4 together, or just wait and put the M4 up and test it with cutting the struts…choices, choices/decisions decisions!!

So while I am procrastinating on the Maslow, I decided to research new table saws. I currently have an old Craftsman 113 with the full cast iron top and cast iron wings. I paid $150 (USD) to get it and had to refinish the top due to sitting and having surface rust a few years ago, and I really like it. I was trying to see if there was another saw that I could just swap the top out on it, but in my research, I couldn’t find that answer, as well as was looking at $1200+ for the replacement in what I wanted in a saw. Yesterday, though, I had a weird epiphany to just google the 113 motor and BOOM!!! I found a few articles that described the issues I was having and the very easy, and a whole heck of a lot cheaper, answers: get a new motor and new pulleys. Holy cow…where’s my “easy button”? So today was researching the suitable replacement motor and pulleys. Motor cost $200 and the pulleys were $24 on the amazons. I also got one of those adjustable link belts ($32). So for 1/4 the price of a new saw, I “should” be able to upgrade my current saw and have it back up and running (probably better than it ever has). So I can get that table finally finished, and by then, I might have the M4 so I can set that up and cut the struts.

This might actually be a better approach as I can get the table set up, then have a true measurement of what I have to ensure the EMT and the struts are cut to the correct size to maximize that cutting area.

Ok…to end this long update:
To do:
Cut struts
Build table
Cut pipes
Assemble gantry
Y1/Y2 belt placement
Y-rail mounting
Wiring
Squaring
DRAW CROWN!!
Let the dust fly

Take care, hope you all had a happy holiday season (for what ever you celebrate), and happy New Year to all of you!!

3 Likes

Still no progress on the R2-LR3. I got the new motor for my table saw yesterday, and the new steel pulleys and belt earlier in the week. Got all of that installed. I also received an A-Line It Basic Kit with Dial Indicator and found that my blade is .015 out of square with the miter slot (probably part of the problem as well). I have a PALS (Precision Alignment and Locking System) to help get that alignment in which will be arriving on Monday according to USPS tracking. In looking at the original owners manual, to fix that alignment, it says to loosen some bolts, then tap the trunnion with a block of wood and a hammer. I am not sure my hammer and block of wood are calibrated enough to just move it .015" into square.

I was thinking of getting the Maslow back up and running so I could cut the struts, but then remembered I was waiting to get the table built to verify measurements before I cut the struts and EMT for the width of the table. So looks like I am still waiting!! Ho hum!!!

So…2 months and not a lot to say, though I have made quite a bit of progress on the table (FINALLY!!). I’ve been busy with life, and some other projects that have come up. but the table is pretty much done.

All that is left to do now is actually mount the table saw, skin the top, and start putting the LR3 together on it. I have a sheet of 3/4 MDF that will be centered, and then some 6inx10ft MDF strips to line the outsides for the rail and other Y-belt to ride. The over hangs on the one end is to make sure I can cut the full 4x8 sheet goods as needed. I also think I can use it to be able to do some vertical mounting/milling, as well as I am thinking of making an inset to mount the top part of a router table I have.

That still may take a bit, I just got a new 20-24W laser machine, and I need to get an enclosure built for that. Hopefully that won’t take too long, and I can get back to getting this spinning murder robot back on track.

3 Likes