Starting Lowrider table

Hello all,

Starting to build my CNC table and I don’t want just a table with legs, but some nice storage under it as well. You may or may not have heard about Jer Schmidt’s module workshop cabinets, but I saw his video on these when they came out 8 months ago and knew that I wanted these.

I made a few by hand but that is a lot of work.

These cabinets are what pushed me to get my LowRider built. After a lot of work I have been able to cut the cabinet module on my Lowrider.

I bought Jer’s plans and then used them to redraw for CNC cutting. I changed the plans a bit so they are tabbed instead of butt joining. But past that they are the same.

I am planning on a whole array of these to support my CNC table on a frame work of 8/20 extruded aluminum on casters, so I can move it around. The ones I built by hand work great so I want a bunch more.

Working on fine tuning my plans and getting it so that I can cut the sides and back as one job and then the top and bottom as a job. Hoping I can get a couple cabinets a day cut out as I want a 4x8 cutting table, so that is a lot of cabinets. Which is a lot of nice storage.

So nice to see things coming along, slowly, but that is ok.

11 Likes

They have some awesome designs. Been watching the YouTube channel for years.

2 Likes

Are you going to add a laser and cut out the cardboard boxes too? There is a lot of thought in those designs.

The thought into the system was one of the items that really made me want to build it. Lot of flexibility.

I had thought about the laser for the cardboard boxes, but don’t have access to one of those. I don’t think I will use too many of those, but I did try to cut them on my LR. I made up a jig to hold the cardboard for me. Then just run the same program over and over. Cut three just to test it. Worked better than I expected, but yea a laser would be better.

1 Like

I just bought those plans and have put it on the list of things I want to cut on my LR3. I want to try some new skills like the small chamfers. Originally I wanted to build nice looking ones out of baltic birch, but I just went to my local shop and that isn’t going to happen unless I win the lottery.

I was considering trying to carve a gridfinity base into the drawer bottom. It looked challenging. I may use my laser to cut some boxes out of 1/8 ply instead.

Your cabinets looks awesome now I want to get out into the shop and make some.

1 Like

OH MAN! I need to get cracking on some cad. I saw his video and then ultimately said nah too much work. but having my LR3 do this is a whole new ball game!

3 Likes

That is a good idea, hadn’t thought of that. I have looked at the Gridfinity system for storage in the drawers, but was leaning away from it due to the amount of printing. But having it as part of the door bottom helps with that.

I was able to get my hands on a free 72" display from a tradeshow booth that was getting trashed. It came with a nice big shipping container. I have the TV in my living room and the shipping case torn down for material in my shop. The sides of the case were the right thickness for the drawers and have a sturdy plastic laminate on one side. I also got a stack of dense foam pieces that is taller than me. I am going to look into cutting tool pockets into the foam and then be able to foam pad drawers. Thinking that this might work well for sockets, wrenches and the like. That is material I have and I won’t have to get a ton of filament. That is the next phase of my little project, once I have the cabinets working well.