Sprint, before you run, before you walk, before you crawl

So, I just finished my MPCNC build and have used it thus far only for laser engraving. I just recently pulled the laser off and installed the router and started digging into Estlcam.

Anyway, while I was in my shop I started looking through my spare parts inventory and realized that I already have a substantial amount of parts I need to get started on an LR3. All of a sudden, the idea of “eventually” building an LR3 went from a daydream to “I have to build it NOW!!” I started printing parts this past week!

So instead of focusing on cutting foam board and taking baby steps, I’m already planning on attempting to cut XZ plates out of aluminum with my MPCNC. I have some questions though:

1. Would a 1.5mm single flute upcut endmill work to cut it out? Would this work for the smaller holes?
  2. With aluminum, are shallower Z plunges and more steps better? It seems to me that it would be.
  3. What is a conservative speed?
  4. What would be a conservative Z step down for each pass? 0.25 mm?
  5. Roughly, how long would it take to cut one out of an aluminum sheet? If we’re talking a day a piece I might just buy a set from the V1 store.
  6. I always try to build things out of repurposed items and surplus items. I have a good supply of .250 aluminum diamond plate. Would it work for XZ plates if I keep the diamond side in towards the core? I could mill off the diamonds in any places they’d interfere.

BTW I’m going with a Jackpot board on this build. I’m going to order it this week yet!

1 Like

Trochoidal is your friend.

1 Like