Spindle & laser or skr pro v1.2

Thoughts on this 90w laser?
Also will this work when I have a spindle using the pwm?

Any diode laser module that claims 90W of power is misrepresenting their product at best, and is probably lying to you. What you want to compare is the optical power of the module, and even then, the claimed power is often exaggerated. The best diode laser modules I see claim 48W of optical power. I don’t see them marketed as standalone module, but if they were, they would likely run around $700 or more.

Visually, the laser in your picture looks like this module, which is 5.5W.

The firmware is a problem. It would probably be best to just reflash the firmware when you move between laser and spindle. It is possible to drive the laser using fan commands and leave the inline/M3/PWM commands for the spindle, but the cutting and engraving performance will be poor compared to using inline commands for the laser.

1 Like

Yeah I thought that might be.
Oh well no biggy, I got my k40 laser. Was just thinking over a laser since I have a big bed for the cnc for them larger projects :slight_smile:

I have NEJE A40640, which is a 12W optical laser. I do bigger projects on my Primo with it, but they can take a long time to cut, and I wish for a more powerful laser module. The biggest piece I’ve cut with it so far is around 22" x 28".

1 Like

I’d like to know what they mean by 10k RPMs. :rofl:

I also have a NEJE A40640 and I’ve been really happy with it so far. But like Robert says, cuts do take some time depending on material type and thickness.

I wish it could cut lighter colored or clear acrylic materials but the wavelength has some limitations. I recently saw a post about a new laser that has a higher wavelength (IR I believe) and pretty high optical power (8 combined diodes I believe) but unfortunately I can’t find the thread.

I recently saw a post about a new laser that has a higher wavelength (IR I believe) and pretty high optical power (8 combined diodes I believe) but unfortunately I can’t find the thread.

I’ve seen several of these IR modules around, but the product pages don’t give much in the way of specifics. That is, they don’t give any information about optical power, nor how many diodes are in the laser. There are a number of 8-diode blue lasers modules around with self-described optical power between 40W and 48W, but they are not IR modules.

Here is one IR module from XTool.

Yeah, I think I’m mixing specs between blue and IR.