Speeding up rapid movement between cuts

I plan on adjusting the rapid movement between cuts following this info i found on a different post its not so slow. My question is if i change it in config h do i need to update it in the cam software also or will the config h override them? If they wont is there a way to change the fusion 360 post processor to accept the new speed?

First, the Personal/Free version doesn’t generate most rapids. The Fusion 360 team made specific limits on their Personal license in order to promote sales, and removing rapids was one of those limits. So, even if you make the changes to G0_FEEDRATE, the change will have no impact.

Second, even if you are using the paid version of Fusion 360, you will have to precede with care. This setting is universal, so it applies to X, Y, and Z. Unfortunately, the Z axis has a much lower max federate (without slipping) than X and Y. You might be able to get around this problem if G0_FEEDRATE is governed by the max federate.

But there is a possible workaround. You must be using the flyfisher604 post processor. Group 3 of that postprocessor looks like this:

If you enable and set the features in this section, the postprocessor will heuristically identify G1 commands that could be G0 commands, and convert them to G0 commands. As G0 commands, the federate will obay the settings in Group 2:

Personally, since I do smaller works on a Primo with few rapids, these are not settings I use, so there may be issues I’m not aware of. In addition, rapids will be governed by the max federate set in the firmware. If you need to change them, the max federates can be set using the display or by g-code.

1 Like

Yes im using that post processor and i do have those options. Ok i will give that a try. Im still trying to decude on if i want to continue learning cam with fusion or estlcam… im still new to cnc so im not sure what im looking for on making a decision

Before my MPCNC, I used Fusion 360 for modeling for 3D printing, so using Fusion 360 CAM was a natural step. I’ve not used Estlcam enough to make any kind of educated comparison, but my perception is that Fusion 360 is a more powerful CAM solution but with a significantly steeper learning curve.

I use Estlcam, my rapids are equal to the max speed, 8000mm/min on X/Y and 800 on Z (after 1500 was too much… :D). You have to account for inertia though.

On my LR3 I’m going 18000mm/min for X and Y and 2400mm/min on Z… no issues.
1400mm X Gantry and 24v power supply

Did you change the max feed rate in the firmware? Stock firmware has them limited to 50mm/s (3000mm/min) so no matter how hight you se them it won’t go over that

Yes, you can change them from the TFT screen (if you have it)

Yes sir. No offense meant at all. Just see a lot of people not realizing that. Good deal

I didn’t get it as an offense :sweat_smile: I was only replying :grin:

1 Like