Sooo, if we have a mpcnc already

@Ryan what would your version of the lowrider look like if we were to cnc it instead of print it? Just wondering if you ever took that track. Would it be beefier? Would it be easier/faster?

Just food for thought.

3 Likes

There is some pieces he has setup that you can use your mpcnc or your lr3 after it’s built to mill parts.
It’s fairly common
And the files are there for different thicknesses etc.

1 Like

When I started my LR2, I already had a Primo. Therefore the Y plates and the router plate (611 plate) were milled on the Primo.

When I built the LR3, the YZ plates were milled on the LR2. I got one of the struts done, then my LR2 control board went off to a better place… Or so I thought. Turned out to have been the PSU, but I didn’t know that until after I’d disassembled the LR2. So the LR3 struts were cut on the LR3.

Some people have tried milling the braces for the LR3. This is made a trifle difficult because of the need for the holes perpendicular to the nominal Z axis of the parts, but it certainly can be done. Also, you have to give up the nut traps, but overall, it’s possible. I’ve spent some time playing with the idea, but don’t have anything that I could actually produce.

1 Like

So you are thinking like full redesign, how would I make it…starting with a CNC as a tool I could use to make it? I think about that a lot. I have a few CNC’s and a plasma, I wonder what I could do.

That was supposed to be the LR3, but people don’t like that idea. They all just buy the parts to make it and rarely cut them themselves.

In a broad sense, the goal would be metal. I am over the moon with the current wood and plastic performance. I am more focused in terms of ease of use and build, lower the price. If I made another…a pro version, I would aim for metal. I am not sure what that would look like. I am also extremely happy with a plasma on my LR3, so in reality no CNC can cut faster than that, the drawback is you are stuck with 2D cutouts and center punching small holes, but honestly I think most people design in 2D in metal. A plasma cutter and a hydraulic press for some bends can get you 90% of what I think most people what metal parts for. I mean, carves in metal are mostly just to show what a machine can do, they are rare in a functional part.

I guess there are a lot of pocketed aluminum parts…not so much in steel.

5 Likes

In reading this it occurred to me that if someone had a plasma rig mounted to their CNC (wink wink) they could plasma cut braces out of sheet metal — with tabs meant to be bent, with screw holes in the tabs.

2 Likes

I vote for mpcnc edm wire machine hahaha. I want one so bad but I don’t know what for yet.

2 Likes

Did you see the kickstarter that is happening for the 3D printer mounted edm? I think it has potential to open the door for almost any machine to easily add it. As far as I know the power supply is the biggest hurdle and that is what they are making.

3 Likes

Yes I did and you are correct the psu is like 15k.
I want this guy to figure it out someone in the comments mentioned about building a diy psu with mofsets.
I was looking into if you could use your tig welder power supply or similar but the frequency is like khz not the 60hz my tig uses :(.

2 Likes

Personally like the V1E mindset of using the best tool for the job. Rather than trying to use 3D printer to do everything. Liked the mix of 3D Printed and CNC’d parts used to build the LowRider, e.g. Plates, Struts, and Case.

What’s LowRider’s weakest link(s) and bottlenecks preventing faster more reliable cuts? Would a removable/compact/fast-swap LR Pro Core made from combo of metal/plastic/wood/other materials help? Or something else, e.g. ball screws instead of belts for LR Pro? Something with clear % better than stock metrics that can be flexed to attract new owners, and something existing owners will want to upgrade to?

EDMs look cool, want one but don’t know what I’d use if for either. Wondering whether improving existing tools, or creating something else very different would be more useful? e.g. low cost injection molding machine, or metal 3D printer…

I have zero data/ideas, am just watching/cheering from the sidelines, am not ‘in the arena’.

2 Likes

I bet the limitations for speed would be belts and possibly gantry weight.
Let’s break out my foundry and cast cores hahaha
Cast things then use Cnc to bore align.
You guys are such bad influences.
Cnc your core in foam then cast in aluminum and use Cnc to finish.
Epoxy granit a nice base that absorbs the harmonics mmmmmm

1 Like

Ha, ha. I was just going to propose the same thing. I’ve been thinking of casting some of the parts for some time now but other projects have taken priority. But I think some of the parts would need to be modified a bit to reduce the weight as much as possible since casting as is would be a substantial increase in moving mass.

I’ve also always wanted to make an EDM (wire & sinker) but the power supply challenges have always been the issue. Hopefully someone comes up with a cheaper solution:

2 Likes

Gotta keep an eye on this one, https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rackrobotics/powercore-cut-through-solid-metal-with-edm I don’t know enough about it to throw money at it but I will watch it happen.

1 Like

A edm drill was just at auction I don’t think anyone bought it.
But mid bud was 2500.00
I was super cheap so that would be me canibalising it up.
I have seen a lot of dust collectors too.
For anyone that doesn’t know about the government auctions site’s it probably a good thing lol

1 Like

It could be wood too. Something easy to carve maybe more durable still light but quicker. Sorry for some reason i was typing out loud some thoughts.

Hi All - I have spent the last year pondering the same question. What is a suitable material to make new machine parts from on existing machines. I have tested carbon fibre, fibreglass, plywood, epoxy granite, epoxy alox, epoxy aluminium and a few exotics. I keep coming back to plywood and aluminium laminates. Easy to cut on most routers, can design very stiff and very light parts. The aluminium stabilises the plywood and you can make thick areas to take screws if your not sure about the screw into the timber. Carbon fibre is best but you have to make moulds. Here’s an article on it. Peter

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/australia-new-zealand-club-house/423980-cad-9.html#post2549050

2 Likes

Hack a day has a new story…I think we have something we can play with, with this one. Looks like he just need a better pump and a filter system.

3d printer, CNC, Plasma CNC, lasers, throw in a wire edm…maybe even make this a ram EDM??? The era of Garage machining is really starting to take off.

Use could use the CNC to carve the graphite dies/bucks, or whatever they are called. DUDE

4 Likes

What’s another project added to my list…

1 Like