Some creations and a bit of learning

I should add I was just practising, this was a piece of beech from a pallet, so the bleed was fine and not a ruined sign!

2 Likes

Sometimes, stuff just turns out better than you imagined. This is a key holder, you can buy plastic versions, but I’m making this for someone and I prefer wood. I struggled for ages to try and fathom the best unambiguous strategy for the black and white, until it hit me. Cut a pocket, fill with black resin, carve the emblem, fill with white resin. The copper plate isn’t quite the right colour, but brass is too hard for me with my tools. I’m not quite sure I’m going to continue with the way I attached the key ring to the 9mm jack. Looks a bit cheap. Most of the mistakes are tolerable (look carefully at the horizontal cut below the logo, it’s horrible), but I t’s good enough for an amateur.

9 Likes

I think it looks great. Don’t mention the mistakes to the ultimate owner, they will see the things you did right when they look at it.

1 Like

Thanks Jeff, I’m getting better at not focussing on the flaws, because you’re right that others won’t (well, on here they may, but that’s why we post here, to improve). On balance I’m pretty delighted with how it turned out!

3 Likes

Let’s not forget that CNC milling (in whatever material, from swiss cheese to titanium) is a technical science - and choosing the right tools is the first step towards a good result. Handling them appropriately is the second step. As our mechanic used to say, in the hands of the uneducated, every tool becomes a hammer. How true! :slight_smile:

As our mechanic used to say, in the hands of the uneducated, every tool becomes a hammer.

Or a paint can opener…

Clint

1 Like

Tom from Ox Tools show how a ruler can be handy in so many ways: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ2oUogH8F4

2 Likes