SKR Pro wont load .bin

Hey guys - hoping someone can help me. I had previously built a Lower rider and had no issues. Installed dual end stops, and cut many projects with it. But then we had a house fire - not related to the CNC :slight_smile:

I just got around to building a replacement. This time I built a PRIMO. I want to use dual end stops, but this go-around, the .bin file wont load. The SKR Pro I received from V1E didn’t come with a micro SD card…I seem to recall getting one with the last board a few years ago. Anyway, I need some brain power to find out what is happening here.

I’ve totally isolated the board; nothing but power coming in. I even tried to power it using the 5V by moving the jumper. Still, whenever I insert the micro SD and then power up the unit, all I get is a blue light indicating that the SD card is present. The board never flashes.

Most of the time when boards do not flash, it is a SD card formatting issue. The SD card needs to be formatted FAT32. Unless you jump through hoops, this limits the size of the SD card to 32GB. Are you downloading the .bin file directly from V1? If the board is successfully flashed, the .bin extension on the firmware file changes to a .cur extension.

Hi Robert. Thanks for the speedy reply! I was initially using a 256GB and then also tried a 64GB. I did download using the link from the V1 page, so I believe that I have the right version. I will buy a smaller micro card and try that…couldn’t hurt! I will update the board with the results tomorrow.

Thanks again,

I think it can deal with exFat, I believe I did that with a 128G card on my MP3DPv3, but I could be wrong… FAT32 on a 32G or smaller card definitely works though.

No need to buy a smaller card, you should be able to set the size to 32, on a 32+ card, if xfat doesn’t work. It’s counter productive but just because the space is there, doesn’t mean you have to use it.

I believe the .bin also has to be in the root directory

Thanks so much for everyone who is jumping in to help me! Last night I read up on FAT32 and do believe that this is my issue. I intend to reformat the microSD to the correct version and try again. I will update the board with the results. Expecting a positive outcome :slight_smile:

Reformatted a 64GB MicroSD to FAT32, loaded the .bin and updated the SKR Pro. Not surprisingly it worked like a charm. Thanks guys!

4 Likes