Skr pro v1.2 wifi activation with esp 01s wifi module?

i had a module on the tft 35 e3 v3 and i dint see the ip i like to now witch port you talk about to enable comunication ?

in configuration.h —>

• Select the serial port on the board to use for communication with the host.

• This allows the connection of wireless adapters (for instance) to non-default port pins.

• Serial port -1 is the USB emulated serial port, if available.

• Note: The first serial port (-1 or 0) will always be used by the Arduino bootloader.

• :[-1, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7]

*/

#define SERIAL_PORT 1

/**

• Select a secondary serial port on the board to use for communication with the host.

• :[-1, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7]

*/

#define SERIAL_PORT_2 -1

/**

• This setting determines the communication speed of the printer.

• 250000 works in most cases, but you might try a lower speed if

• you commonly experience drop-outs during host printing.

• You may try up to 1000000 to speed up SD file transfer.

• :[2400, 9600, 19200, 38400, 57600, 115200, 250000, 500000, 1000000]

*/

#define BAUDRATE 250000

you say 6 but witch one the 1st one or second one ?
i dont now if you saw this pic there is a lot of info on it !

i have the interactive pdf of this diagram to all link i send email to ryan and he will send it to you because i cant send it here

1 Like

If you chang this line, the wifi will work and connecting via usb (like repetier or a pi) will stop working:

If you change this line, the wifi will work but the tft will stop working:

1 Like

The important thing here is that the wifi uart is labeled RX6 and TX6.

i think i will use the 2nd one
#define SERIAL_PORT_2 -1 =usb port
to
#define SERIAL_PORT_2 6 = WIFI port
do i have to change anything else ?
i saw this information on the pic i up somewere he you must see it and i send the email whit the interactive link pdf you can get the whole book 1.8 gig
from this link

That is all you have to do to Marlin. You still need to connect to that wifi, and go to 192.168.4.1 and change the settings so it ends up on your home wifi. Then you have to find the address on your home network that it gets from your router and go there.

i have to wait tomorow because i scrap my esp 01 s i order a new one i will recived it tomorow afternoon
it is the bigtreetech i order the config ip is 192.168.0.1
the after market is 192.168.4.1 but i cant log on it it is block
i have both chip i tried both
i scrap my bigtreetech by reflashing it but i made an error i erase it before it was not a good idea
now it is dead

i had problem when configure it the 3 files i supposed to upload it on is to big and dont work thats why i try to flash it

I know that this is an old topic, but it is the one that Google brings you to when you look for info about an ESP-01 on the SKR Pro 1.2, so it is worth a 2021 update.

As of May of this year, Marlin now supports three serials! The merge was made to the 2.0.x branch, not the bugfix branch.

I flashed my board by following the instructions at: MarlinBuilder/UBUNTU_BUILD.md

However, make sure to clone the 2.0.x branch:

git clone git@github.com:MarlinFirmware/Marlin.git Marlin -b 2.0.x --depth 1

After running src/core/config-for-machine V1CNC_SkrPro_2209, I edited Marlin/Configuration.h,
to replace //#define SERIAL_PORT_3 1 with #define SERIAL_PORT_3 6 , then proceeded to run src/core/build-for-machine.

I am still waiting for the rest of the components to arrive (stuck in customs), but I set the power jumper to USB and flashed the firmware via the SD card. I opened ESP3D over WiFi and when I hit the “abort” button, a warning about the “terminated print” showed up on the LCD / TFT, so they seem to be communicating ok!

You should be able to skip half those instructions. The zip files at MarlinBuilder releases have the source files in them. You can just download those, unzip and then change the serial port number and compile and flash.

1 Like

The releases I saw were still 2.0.7.2, but the third serial was only added in Marlin 2.0.8.1. I don’t think the commit was merged to bugfix-2.0.x

I stand corrected. Marlin/Configuration.h at 86feddb75fc01fb744c9453dc4d1f5d1bfad4c4f · MarlinFirmware/Marlin · GitHub

Oh. Interesting. That will be nice. Has that been released yet?

It is in the 2.0.8.1 tag that I struck out in my post above. It seems the third serial is in both bugfix-2.0.x and 2.0.x branches, but you’ll need to pull in tag 2.0.8.1 or later.

4 Likes

@vicious1, we should update to the latest 2.0.9.1, and add in this third serial for the wifi module on the skr.

Well shoot. That is cool.

I would want to test it out first, I have one of the wifi chips. But we might as well?! Any downsides for the vast majority of boards that will not be using them?

Wait, don’t you need to edit the firmware when you use one anyway. Edit the password and such? IF you have to edit it anyway I would rather add a page or blurb to the docs. If it will work out of the box then heck yeah. I will start looking into it. I have the module sitting on my desk and a fresh batch of SKR’s showed up.

Naw, just specify that you must have a wifi SSID “V1_PRO” and password “SendRyanMoreMoney!”

On a more serious note, these apparently can be used for a port of RepRapFirmware, which is awfully tempting. The CNC mode version has some very convenient features.

1 Like

I don’t think you need to code any wifi stuff into marlin. According to my comment here Skr pro v1.2 wifi activation with esp 01s wifi module? - #5 by Tuco you connect to the ESP01 with it’s temp SSID and then the ESP01 connects to your own wifi once it gets your wifi creds. The ESP01 maintains all that and then just acts as a serial client/connection. It just needs it’s serial port to be live in marlin. I believe it shows the DHCP IP addr on the LCD so you can connect to it without having to play with a delightful router GUI.

3 Likes

That’s my impression as well. It uses the same software that is on the grbl_esp32 boards. So when you set that up, you connected to the wifi via a new ssid, and then configured it (if you wanted) to connect to your home wifi.

1 Like

At least on mine, (using a full esp32 rather than the esp01 add on)This is a option you have to turn on. But yes it can and it is very nice. Especially when it fails to connect to your home network and defaults back to standalone mode. Then you can look at the IP on the screen and know it.

That’s right. The ESP-01 has its own firmware and everything is flashed and configured there. Only thing needed on Marlin is the serial.

1 Like

Hi there all,
I’m a very newbie and I just buy the Primo Kit with the SKR PRO board
I don’t know the actual version that will be send.
In the mean time I understand that this board can have a WiFi connect…

So can anybody tell me what I must to buy (where) in order to have
WiFi connection on the MPCNC Primo please ?

Thanks in advance
Denis

I don’t have an SKR Pro, but I’ve considered one for a future project and therefore have been following SKR Pro topics on the forum. If you search for “skr pro wifi,” you will find a number of topics/threads worth reading. Three points.

1. This video gives detailed setup instructions. Links to the parts are included below the video, and even if you don’t order from the links, they do provide a reference for shopping for the parts.
    Add wifi to your Bigtreetech mainboard/touchscreen - ESP-01S guide - YouTube

2. The current V1 maintained version of the Marlin firmware only allows for two serial ports. With a standard V1 setup, one serial port will be used by the hardwired USB and the second by the touch mode of screen. In order to get wireless working you have to give up one or the other. You either have to give up hardwired USB support or give up running your display in touch mode. You can still run the display in Marlin mode. Note you will have to make a simple change to the firmware and reflash the board to get wireless working.

3. It has been reported that the latest version of the Marlin firmware has added support for a third serial port. At some point V1 will update the firmware, and in theory you will get this feature. V1 already attempted to test updating to a newer version of Marlin, but recent changes broke functionality V1 needed…I think it was support for Extruders==0.

Edit: I just realized the link for the YouTube video is found above, as well as the info for point #2.

3 Likes