SKR Pro V1.2 and TMC2208's

Just saw a good deal for the SKR Pro V1.2 so its on the slow boat from China. I have some spare TMC2208 drivers and just wanted to double check that I would be able to use them.

I know I would need to make changes in the pre-configured firmware so Marlin knows it has 2208 rather than the 2209.

Is there anything else I would need to consider?

Thanks.

The 2209s can support more current. But I would think it is fine. I can’t remember what we set them to, 950mA?

I did check the firmware and they were set to 900ma.

I will stick with the 2208 and see if I get any problems when I get to the stage of having an assembled unit doing some test cuts.

Thanks.

1 Like

I’m getting ready to wire up my SKR Pro w/ 2208 drivers. Anyone have that work yet? What changes to Ryan’s 2209 version of the firmware did you have to make?

I haven’t done any work on this yet but off the top of my head I know you would need to change several line in Configuration.h which tells Marlin what drivers are being used.

#define X_DRIVER_TYPE  TMC2209
#define Y_DRIVER_TYPE  TMC2209
#define Z_DRIVER_TYPE  TMC2209
#define X2_DRIVER_TYPE TMC2209
#define Y2_DRIVER_TYPE TMC2209
#define E0_DRIVER_TYPE TMC2209

Changed to.

#define X_DRIVER_TYPE  TMC2208
#define Y_DRIVER_TYPE  TMC2208
#define Z_DRIVER_TYPE  TMC2208
#define X2_DRIVER_TYPE TMC2208
#define Y2_DRIVER_TYPE TMC2208
#define E0_DRIVER_TYPE TMC2208

There may be other changes needed but I haven’t yet sat down to do any firmware bits and still quite far away from getting anything wired up and tested.

1 Like

I think that should be the only difference, but I haven’t tried it either. YMMV