SKR 1.2 + TFT - Marlin works but Touchscreen = 'no printer attached

What happens when you put the two jumper in the middle from USB to Host?

Same outcome w/ the double jumper set to host - marlin works but touchscreen still displays ‘no printer attached’

Ahhhhh,

Take off that green adapter thing, cut he power wires and run it directly. I bet that solves it.

When doing that verify the polarity of the wires, they can vary form the “standard” colors.

OK - so you’re suggesting I remove this whole adapter from the system?

Or I somehow take off the green part from the black part?

Yes throw that away quickly before you catch the jinx they seem to carry.

Use the wires directly like I have shown in the instructions…(I need to add a note to specify this).

Huh - I didn’t see any instructions mentioning how to wire power for the SKR - I must have missed that.

I cut the wires and connected the power directly:

Unfortunately, no change in results - marlin allows movement of axis but touchscreens still displays ‘no printer attached’.

I use those connectors often… Did you ever try to
boot without the SD card in the screen?

Ya, doesn’t make a difference SD card in or out of the TFT when booting/resetting. Still the same error message in red at the top.

I guess email or PM me and we can arrange for return shipping. I can test and figure out which one is having an issue (Board or screen).

2 Likes

This is an aside for Ryan, but you might find it interesting. I made a little python script to act like Marlin from my computer through the USB/UART plug. It might be useful for something like this to talk to the screen and see what it is printing and what it is getting. Let me know if you want it. It isn’t terribly complicated, but I have no idea if it will work in Windows.

1 Like

Heck yes, I can see what this screen is doing.

There are zero comments. It just opens “/dev/ttyUSB0” at 250k (near the bottom). Then waits for lines and responds with reasonable stuff to pretend like it is Marlin, to a subset of the commands from the screen. I think the printing is pretty verbose too. It needs the pyserial library installed (and I have no idea how that works in windows).

Feel free to ask me about it though. Maybe I can help.

3 Likes

Okay…stumbling through this. Taking notes in case I need to do this again and don’t remember.

Headed straight to vscode, I have python installed but vscode lets me click stuff once and a while.
VScode installed a python extension, tried running it, go the serial error. Then I ran, pip install “pyserial”, from the terminal. That worked.

Port errors so I replaced /dev/ttyUSB0, with COM8

It works!!! It “OK” way too fast though, I can’t see what is happening. What value changes that, it is not timeout is it?

Wait, that is not right. I am connected through the boards usb, I need to use that programmer don’t I? I am just getting the boards output on the screen not yours. let me try

NEATO

I had to unplug the reset wire but it works!!

The USB to uart should power the screen and connect to tx,rx,ground. Then when the screen asks for M119, the code responds with “Reporting endstop status”, etc. When it asks for M115, it sends the vendor string “FIRMWARE_NAME:Marlin 2.0.5.3 (GitHub, jeffeb3)”, or whatever you put in the script. The skr board can be left out of the equation completely.

From my inspection, it should print every line coming from the screen (print(message.decode("utf-8").strip())) and it should print just some of the things that the script is sending to the screen:

16         if message != b'ok' and not message.startswith(b'T:24.62') and not message.startswith(b'X:'):
 17             print(" "*60 + message.decode("utf-8"))

Cool. I’m not sure what the reset would do in this situation, so I’m glad you left it off.

I freaking love it. Exactly what we need to figure out why things are wonky.

I stopped a file and it sent
G28 XY R10
M106 P0 S0

Now we can track these things down and stop them. That would be a disaster for a none dual machine.

*edit, we need to change cancel gcode off by default. maybe even persistent status.
** the constant M105 is where I think I have been seeing the errors pop up in the screen when I do things. Off for dual is the next big goal I suppose.

1 Like

I really haven’t looked at it since that big merge. That stop code looks pretty bad in a DE version too. Who cares about your coordinate frame…

1 Like