Single source for two mp3dp

Sorry for my lack of technical knowledge, but I have a question. I have a source that, theoretically, is 50A and I am building two mp3dp. Is it possible to connect the two mp3dp on the same source until I buy another one?

Tiago,

I assume you’re talking about the power source (12V).

I can’t see any reason you can run two machines from on power supply, it may have connections for two 12V outputs that are individually regulated, but I think that even if not, the current needed from one machine shouldn’t cause a sag in power for the other machine.

Mike

2 Likes

The reason is that I’m out of money at the moment and here in Brazil the currency is increasingly devalued. Thank you so much Mike, I’ll think about it.

Emergency stop setup may be a little more challenging since you don’t want to cut the power on both machines. But I can’t think of any major issues with sharing as long as the current rating has a decent safety margin above all the components you are driving.

Now I have seen some threads on issues with interference with endstops so I’m not sure if that interference could transfer between the two machines but it I believe the fix is to use shielded cable for the endstop wiring. But that’s only an issue if you plan on using endstop.

Good luck!

Edit:
@Atom Lol. Sorry, I thought he was try to run two MPCNCs. I should read the titles more closely next time.

@Tiago_dants Please disregard my comments

2 Likes

Tiago,

I just re-read my reply and I typed it wrong: it should say “I can’t see any reason you CAN’T run two machines”.

Sorry to make that mistake, you should have enough power from that power supply to use it for two machines at the same time. The only challenge is if you need to power off one machine, you’ll also power off the other (unless you put separate switches to each machine).

Mike

Mike

3 Likes

This is how my MP3DP is wired. The power supply is always hot, I just switch the 12v going to the controller.

2 Likes

I think it will work fine. The only problem for I can anticipate is tuning your heaters. Your PID settings won’t be consistent. Due to a variable load on the power source. But since it can supply 50 amps this may also be a non-issue.

I suggest using “bang bang” on the heat beds. Then just tune the nozzle heaters while the other printer is off. That way you error on the side of running your nozzle colder.

Best of luck.

3 Likes

E stops aren’t generaly needed on 3dprinters

A 3dprinter needs endstops and having the same power source shouldn’t cause any additional interface.

I agree, and I would add that the only real advantage of separate power supplies would be if you wanted the printers to be farther apart. If you plan on keeping them together then I wouldn’t even bother buying an additional one. Just buy 2 switches(single pole, single throw rated for 24A+ @ 12vdc+), wire them in on the positive (red) side between the DC out and each printers controll board and call it good!

2 Likes

How wonderful, I’m looking forward to testing. I really want them to be together. I will put the two switches on and pay attention to the PID. Thanks to everyone, this forum is incredible.

2 Likes