Sign for My Brother's Business

Ok awesome! Thanks for that! I thought it was but never knew for sure LOL

1 Like

Looking GREAT!

1 Like

Cool.

1 Like

Super glue is a brand name. And they do make some glues that are not CA. But that is like kleenex making wet wipes.

2 Likes

Ok if I was going to walk into the Orange store today and get some glue, is there any particular brand you or anyone else would suggest?? I’ve been using this stuff for CA glue around the house, and it works great, but its not what I would consider cheap lol. And I cant walk into a store in town and buy it today. Have also used this one before too. But once opened the caps didn’t seal up well enough and the glue hardened in the bottle. So I have plenty of activator around just no glue LOL

So far the ones I have repaired with CA glue are holding on well. So I guess that is how I will move forward on the rest of the letters. So damn nerve racking not knowing for sure what the best course action is here. Wont know till its been on the wall for a few years and they are still in place, or its been up for a week and they are falling LOL

Edit to add. Someone else suggested silicone to attach them, but I cant figure out a good way to hold them while it dries and to keep them nice and tight on the letters. Some of the smaller letters don’t have a huge offset, so I need the lights to be real tight to not show from behind the main letters

You can use a couple of spots of CA and use silicone for the ultimate strength. I’ve seen people do that with wood glue.

I don’t have any experience with signs like that, or working for years. I have some CA glued abs parts on my RC heli and the glue is stronger than the plastic. It isn’t cheap though.

My goto would have been 2 part epoxy.

1 Like

Not a bad idea at all. I have seen that as well for wood glue but never once even thought about it for this. Thanks!

My go-to for stuff like this is plummers glue. Seems to stick to everything. Plus after opening it’s shelf life is good for months. Some of the automotive trim glues seem to be the same stuff. Sets up in seconds after putting pressure on it.

1 Like

It’s too late I’m sure, but use a good brand general purpose construction adhesive “liquid nails” would work.
Better still is an andhesive designed for that type of use, something like Sikaflex 521. It might be overkilll, but it’s only overkill until you have to do it again and clean up the mess made by something that wasn’t quite right for the job.

If the backing of the LED is PVC - @larryk is spot on - use a solvent based plumbers’ PVC glue (get a clear one) - I have glued all my van components with it (with a few safety screws) and it does indeed weld the surfaces together.

2 Likes

The LED is in an IP67 “case” with a double sided tape on the back of it. The tape is practically useless. The only thing it sticks to good is the LED LOL.

Are y’all meaning something like this…

1 Like

Yep! clean off the tape with some IPA then give it a coat of primer to match the PVC cement - if the “case” is not PVC, it won’t work, so check that first!

Just had a Quick Look - your led is probably encased in silicone - just use a thin strip of clear silicone from a caulking gun and tape it all in place for half an hour or so. (or use dollops of hot glue to hold it temporarily while the silicone goes off)

2 Likes

Do you keep it in the fridge? Our “butter” compartment is reserved for my CA and chocolate biscuit stash!

No. Cant say I’ve ever heard that one. I will give it a try though! The one I normally use doesn’t have that issue. But as you see from the links its twice the cost without any accelerator spray lol

I really need to read what I type. I was refering to Pummers Goop. Sold under quite a few names. Goop plummers seem to be the current name I see on line now. A little of it goes a long way

1 Like

Just some clear/white exterior grade silicone?

like this…

or something like this…

The adhesive wording in the second one makes me think it might be better… but I honestly have no idea LOL

Here is a pic of the LEDs…

This stuff??

Yep - pretty much sticks anything to anything within reason - try it first of course. No need for a thick bead - just push it down nice and thin.

Note this is different to other glues like the polyurethanes and Sika products which rely on some thickness - always read the instructions! :wink:

Here’s a random link

1 Like

Finally some more progress on the sign! Got the last of the panels cut out and picked up the painted letter. Put 2 letters on and wired them up real quick just so I could see how its going to look.

One thing is for sure. Those LEDs are BRIGHT

Cant wait to see it all together!

Still catching hell getting the LEDs to stick so I finally just drew up a little 3d printed part to slide on and hold them. Seems to be working well. Haven’t gotten to any of the small letters yet so we will see how that goes lol.

6 Likes

wire tie them on with stainless wire. it will last and it is easy

2 Likes