Short/flat 3D printer

Has anyone seen or made a “short” 3D printer? I have Bambulab printer now, and I’m playing with the idea of making my original CR-10 to have something like 100mm of Z-travel. The point would be the possibility to store it in a drawer to be used with huge nozzles for printing templates/flanges/brackets - stuff that would be best printed lying flat on bigger bed an not much detail.

That’s a cool idea. Would be pretty handy for printing templates or even add a laser head. CR-10 you could probably just cut down the uprights, limit your Z max in the firmware and call it a day.

The only thing I could think of that could fit in a drawer would be a Positron. That is if you want a project anyways.

I just saw a video on the Positron V3 too. Seems a little pricey, and it might be mindbendy to print upside down, but it could fit in a big enough drawer.

Not sure you’ll have the support for the nozzles, etc. that you want.

Cutting the CR10 might be a suitably sized project for the near future. The Positron is really interesting and I wanted to build one even before LDO came into the picture - but it’s too much of a project both time- and budget-wise for now.