Series wiring, but steppers barely able to lift gantry

Hi,
I got my entire system from V1, and wired the provided series cables up. It works as advertised. However, the Z-stepper motors struggle to lift the gantry when the router is at its limit (ie close the Y-min or Y-max.). When the router is on the far side of the Y-axis, the near stepper lifts just fine, but even the slightest down pressure causes it to slip with alarming clicks.

Not sure what to do now. No binding as far as I can see, threaded rod is perpendicular, lubricated, the threaded nut is not too tight, to allow for some misalignment. I’ve checked the connections, but nothing obviously out of place.

Basically, the motors just barely cope, and slipp almost constantly.

Any advice welcome.

Don’t know what version you are running but if it is burly then this could be your problem,

1. I have Rambo 1.4, no dual endstops, no obvious binding. Weather here is a balmy mid-20s by day 12-ish at night (centigrade).
  2. When you said “this” might be your problem, what “this” were you referring to?
  3. And what do you mean by “burly”
  4. Finally, I forgot to add that I’ve added a second set of steel pipes, making my LR2 a double-decker. I’m now thinking that this added weight is the culprit.

So are you on a low rider or normal MPCNC, and Burly is the previous version of the build, Primo is the latest iteration of MPCNC. The this I was was referring to is the lock nut for the Z axis, I had mine in the wrong position. On a different machine now so can’t remember if it was supposed to go on the top or bottom at the moment though.

Ah… thank you. LR2. I’ll check the nut…

Make sure you aren’t using the 2nd Z port. They need to be wired in series.

And yeah, that extra weight without extra power is not going to help.

Hi Jeff,
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions - but this is all completely new to me, and I mostly don’t understand what you (and many others on this forum) take for granted.

OK, I can see there are two Z-plugs on the MB. I have my Z-connector plugged into the first one (the one closest to the Y and X sockets) and the second one has nothing plugged into it.

Is this correct?

Yep. That is correct.

OK, I’ve removed the second story (pity - it’s a great way to enhance rigidity). Haven’t had a chance to test it yet, but I’ll do so tomorrow morning, then report back.