Sandify in the Sisyphus App

Sisyphus added a version of Sandify.org into their apple and android apps.

They were respectful and asked @bobnik and myself before they went into this endeavor. They contacted us before they added it as a stretch goal for their latest kickstarter. The license on sandify is built to give the project the most chance of being reused (even without approval of the developers/creator).

This is pretty exciting for me. I think it will be exciting for everyone here. It is nice when things grow together and not apart. I hope this team continues to grow and we see a lot of sand creations as time goes on. I am always trying to be friendly to all the companies and communities involved. I believe that one project becoming more popular helps everyone with more enthusiasm.

On a technical note, our code is open and available. But it wasn’t compatible with their app code so there was a significant amount of work to move the ideas and algorithms into their app. I suspect we will have to willingly make any changes in the two codebases and they may diverge. I haven’t seen their code. But I did get an early access copy to give them feedback. We have a good open (but private) channel for communication.

14 Likes

That’s great.

One measure of the quality and usability of any codebase is reuse.

Congratulations that your work continues to get that recognition for its value.

2 Likes

Congratulations!

1 Like

I agree that this is an exciting step forward. Being able to design a pattern and push it directly to a Sisyphus table is pretty epic.

Re: code changes, I think we can react as needed. To some degree the onus is on Sisyphus (or any third party) to communicate/collaborate with us if they have specific requirements to make current and future integration easier. I also think that it’s natural to have the original site debut new features that are optionally picked up by other apps over time, particularly given that this is a part-time hobby project. I look forward to seeing how this back-and-forth evolves.

2 Likes