Running two machines from same computer

I asked this before and saved the info but recently lost my hard drive and the info on it.
I can’t find the post here, it should be here but maybe under a different topic.
What I want to do is run Estlcam on two different machines from the same computer, both at different times, not together.
There was a way described by Christian on setting up two different shortcuts that pointed to different parameter files.
Can someone please refresh my memory on this?

1 Like

Is it this post you’re looking for: Can I do this, and if so, how? - #2 by Peacester ?

2 Likes

Yes it is, thankyou Kockie

1 Like

you’re welcome. Be sure to post your findings/experience (don’t know if this is the right word) with it!

2 Likes

Not quite right.
Copy the shortcut to another copy is correct.
Then open properties on one of them and add this as the target
“C:\Program Files (x86)\Estlcam12\Estlcam12_CNC.exe” “Profile=Machine_1”
Then open Estlcam and setup that one to suit the requirements for machine 1
Close Estlcam and then open the properties of the second shortcut named machine_2 and add this as the target
“C:\Program Files (x86)\Estlcam12\Estlcam12_CNC.exe” “Profile=Machine_2”
Open Estlcam again and setup the to suit machine_2
These files will be found in C: > ProgramData > Estlcam
.Estlcam
Inside of each of these two directories you will find the following files

One thing I should add. When testing out I found that you also need the V12 directory and that must contain the SVG files and also the fonts, or either machine_1 or machine_2 will not have whatever icons or fonts that are needed.
This folder will be shared by both machine_1 and machine_2
Estlcam settings

V12
You can copy both those directories into V12 from machine_1 and machine_2 and they will merge in folder V12 (in case you have different files in each folder)
Those folder can then be removed from machine_1 and machine_2 to save space (not much)
If you don’t do that you end up with this
no V12 folder-

But Estlcam will make an empty folder V12 that you can add into.
and you will get your icons showing
SVG added to V12-

I asked ChatGPT and it made a mistake just like this! ChatGPT

I think a real human would not guess at the parameter name.

I don’t mind an honest mistake but I am not a fan of low-effort garbage that wastes people’s time.

2 Likes

A while back when I was doing a lot of picaxe programming, I asked ChatGPT to help out.
It made so many really stupid mistakes that I ended up teaching it how to do it. It never seemed to get it right, so I gave up using it and went with Perplexity instead. https://perplexity.ai/
I haven’t bothered to try any programming with it, but it is great for instant information on just about any subject.