Router holder movement

Hi everyone,

Hope everyone ok as it’s been a while.

After my last 1.5kw burnt out I changed it for a new router but the X is hitting the spaces. I can move the 3d printed holder about 5mm on the bottom, not up down but in and out or left to right depending how you look at it. I can’t remember if it’s always been like that or the plastic has melted. I’ve messed with the 2 rollers that are visible on the bottom, improved slightly but still moves.

Sorry for the long message and hope this makes sense.

Pictures would help for us to know what the issue is. One thing to try - adjust the bottom two rollers on the core. Only go about 1/8 of a turn at a time, just until the rollers are fully touching both the top and bottom rails (rollers should spin if rotated by hand with a slight amount of drag). Don’t over-tighten, or you could crack the core.

Thanks.

If I push the holder left then it moves about 3mm. I can only hand tighten the 2 bearings or they don’t move. I’ll give the inside bearings a go. I just can’t remember if it’s always been able to be moved a little. Does anyone else’s have play on theirs?

The bottom outside rollers do not touch the bar and if I tighten them they don’t move.

I’ve taken the router out of the holder and it’s not hitting the spacers, maybe it’s warped over time with the weight. I’ll print another one and update this post.

Hi Bartman,

I don’t think I’ve replied to you properly in the post. I think the router holder may be warped a little with the heat, weight or both so I’ll print another one out. Thanks for your suggestions.

Thanks for posting the pictures. That helps.

I was originally a little confused by your terminology, thinking that perhaps the core was loose on the rails, but I see that it is the router moving within the tool mount that is the issue (or at least I think that is what you are saying). Or is the router solid within the tool mount, but the tool mount itself is moving on the core?

If you are sure that the core is solid on the rails, I would look for cracking in the core at or near the tool mount screw holes. This can easily happen if the tool mount screws are over-tightened even a little bit.

If that is the case, you will either need to re-print the core (aagggh!), or if the cracking isn’t too extensive, you may be able to repair the crack by using a flat tip soldering iron and some PLA to “weld” the crack.

There’s no crack so thinking the holder is slightly warped on the bottom so I’ll print the holder out again and check it again. Suppose it makes sense, I put wood under the tubes when not in use but never under the spindle and that weighs a lot.

The 2 bottom visible rollers aren’t touching the tubes so I’ll see what happens with new holder.

Thanks for your advice.