Rocky Mountain RepRap Festival 2023

This was a packed event!!!
My wife and kid didn’t like the crowded room otherwise I would have stayed to meet you all.
Jeffeb3 the Table looked sweet in real life! Good job on it!

4 Likes

Ok so just found this. I need to look into the chameleon!!

2 Likes

Hey everyone, this is Justin, one of the co-organizers of the Rocky Mountain RepRap Festival.

On behalf of my co-organizers, we truly want to thank everyone who was involved or even interested in this event for our inaugural year. In total we had 3500 people over two days. 2150 on saturday and an additional 1000 people on sunday, plus 350 people in the sponsors/makers/staff group. It was beyond anything we could have imagined when we started this in September and next year is gonna be at the same venue, with the full intention to use both 18,000 square foot halls.

Please feel free to comment, give constructive criticism, and suggestions for next year. There are so many little things we can improve on to make next years event even better.

Thank you to Ryan (vicious1) for being a platinum sponsor, and it was great to meet Jeffeb3 and whoever else came (sorry too many people to remember).

14 Likes

Thank you for a stress-free show. It was fantastic. I know of things I will be changing, but I really can’t think of anything to change on your end, so whatever you have planned I am sure will be great. If I could only attend one show a year it will be RMRRF for sure, trying to squeeze in at least a one more though.

5 Likes

I wish I had some good feedback for you. I had so much fun and it was really great meeting you. It was very nice to meet so many enthusiastic people and talk in depth about things I am so passionate about.

It is nice to see you in the forums. Don’t be a stranger.

5 Likes

So much was discussed. Pasted some of my notes below, a subset of the overall content am currently most interested in.

• 06:00 Jason from LDO. Interesting “Positron” open source 3D printer, super compact, upside down, 90 degree hotend, currently synchronous mesh belt but switching to conventional belts.
  • 32:50 Shane from Prusa3D.
  • 58:20 Vishal SliceWorx, have bunch of products including filaments that very closely match Makita, Dewalt, Milwaukee and Ryobi. Useful if you want to pimp out storage/accessories for your favorite tools toys.
    • Disclosure: Vishal and I chatted for a bit, he kindly gave me a free not Dewalt “Vault Yellow” spool to try out.
  • 1:03:50 Tim from Voron, history and various showcase models, including Yuge, trident (darkrock185), double panel high temp ( PanDOOMra by Doug ), Tim’s flip lid, TridEX = Trident + Dual extruder,
  • 1:16:30 Steven from 3DQue, 3D printer/farm automation, via ML/AI. Dynamic setting tuning during job to maximize successful yield (e.g. temp and flow tweaks during the print based on camera observations).
  • 1:24:15 Apex from Fabreeko Snake Oil, open source projects
    • Neat panel clips/mounts, am probably stealing those for my MP3DP v4
    • CAD/Docs/Firmware and more for SnakeOil-XY 3D printer.
6 Likes

Watching now.

LDO is going to sell Milo CNC kits, like they do for Voron. That should be neat, a mill kit.

3 Likes

That interview segment was pretty good I thought!

3 Likes

That was fun to watch. I didn’t see your Q&A when it was live. But you did a great job.

4 Likes

Wow!! Great follow up! That is the way to make sure even more people come following years!!!

4 Likes

I was wondering how that was going to turn out. I’m happy enough with it. Thank you all for the support, I was super hesitant. Grant was very fun to talk to.

8 Likes

Can I just say that Project 26,000 is in the planning!

That’s about how many kilometres the round trip is! :smiley:

6 Likes

Thanks Riley, We truly want this to be a huge event every year. Lots of work to be done for the 2024 event and we hope to make it better!

2 Likes

Great seeing you in action Ryan! You give off a friendly appearance, just as in the forums! Glad to be a part of this friendly and creative community.

6 Likes

Thank you. Extremely not comfortable doing that sort of thing, and with no pre interview. Luckily my voice was shot so I was not as uncomfortable hearing myself back. Grant was real easy to talk to, we had a conversation after, and a little encouragement before to get me to do it.

5 Likes

You should do more of it. That symbiosis between YTers and sponsors is a key function of a RRF (I think, I’m no expert). Obviously, the makers and the visitors are the main source of energy. But the sponsors pay for it and the videos and posts are how word gets spread.

4 Likes

Honestly, I actually feel assured when people are uncomfortable with the spotlight. Those who always seek the spotlight and wants to bathe in it, makes me wonder if they are into their stuff because they want to be admired, or they actually care for what they are doing. You clearly care about your products and your community - and not about being an internet star! :smiley:

Edit: But don’t get me wrong! You did a great spot! Could have been much longer

4 Likes

Why was the lr3 not showcased?

1 Like

Yup didn’t get the pan across the other two projects on the tables.

1 Like

Loved the interview, great to see, hope it was a good experience. Hope this and future interviews help Makers discover designs/kits they will enjoy building, and using.

Shame LR3 or Ryan’s MP3DP v4 wasn’t shown off in the video. Added a comment in the video, maybe others will too?

Off camera, Ryan’s LR3 was beautifully setup and impressing passers by with it’s ability to draw itself. Also, the video below was played on loop on a small tablet for most of the conference (@turbomacncheese’s ? ) to help people grasp what LR3 is capable of.

Chatted with several attendees that understandably didn’t initially realize LR3 is a CNC, let alone what the machine, and various LR3 community builds are up to, e.g. laser, plasma, screen inspection, etc… Those conversations reminded me that it’s easy to forget/not-realize what fresh eyes/minds will perceive/assume at first glance.

Honestly, lobotomize yourself for a few minutes, try to take a first glance at a LR3 (at slow walking by speed) , with no router, with no dust/chips, and tell me you’d be able to immediately conclude what a LR3 is fully capable of, what great value it is, how it stacks up against comparable machines, community support, etc… Would you need additional visual/text aids to quickly fully grasp the awesome maker value a LR3 would unlock for you?

Watching the other RMRRF interviews by different companies made me realize how much I missed, and misunderstood, what other companies were exhibiting for similar reasons.

4 Likes