Rocky Mountain RepRap Festival 2023

Wish I could. Too far away. I somehow never even heard of it until this year’s, but then it’s only been since Covid lockdown when I first built a V1E machine.

you hoping to cash those in or bet them?

1 Like

That makes sense. This is the first one in the right mountains (Colorado). There has been a midwest one for a long time, and I was scheduled to go in 2020. And an east coast one.

2 Likes

What are those made with? I thought that was lasered, but the more I look at it, it is obviously inlaid but with what?

Those are inlayed. He posted a link above how he made them… :slight_smile: Can’t find it though…

1 Like

These are made from 1-1/8" dowel from the orange store, inlaid with padauk.

Initial set was a long time ago (already then thinking of giveaways for MRRF).

I updated the procedure so I could batch them out.

• Tape down padauk blank (endgrain strip cross-cut from a board)
  • Tape down several round coin blanks (cross-cut from dowel)
  • Using surfacing bit (dovetail bit) cut padauk and coin blanks to consistent known thickness
  • Switch to v-bit and carve pockets in all coins and cut plug shape in padauk strip
  • Individually separate plugs and glue into pockets
  • Wait for glue to dry
  • Switch to surfacing bit and plane down coins slightly below initial surface
  • Remove all coins and sand slightly (surfacing is not quite smooth enough)

11 Likes

That’s what you call a production line! I haven’t tried to do multiples of anything, yet. this is really great inspiration.

3 Likes

WOW!

Using the CNC to do what it does best. That makes them even cooler.

2 Likes

So there is sometging new with voron at rmrrf too!! Just saw it on reddit.

4 Likes

Well my machines got delayed in shipping…should have arrived in a few hours. No new delivery time but they are in Colorado about an hour and a half from the event so I am confident they should get there tomorrow. Fingers crossed, the pucker factor has increased. I had hoped they would be there Tuesday.

1 Like

I have a profound sense of “I am missing out on something” here.
Have a great time, all of you!

Don’t worry about your stuff, if all else fails you could go to every booth and get them to make one part of a machine as a festival project!! :smiley:

7 Likes

I hope your equipment arrives in time. Yell if you need any local support.

2 Likes

This topic induced enough FOMO to push me into going.

Making stuff at a maker festival makes sense.

Will pack diamond drag bits, mounts, etc… for just in case, if that helps. Currently planning to bring my half ar$ed MP3DP, but only if it’s not going to be an embarrassment. Let me know whether to bring the LR3 instead.

@SupraGuy, @niget2002, @probrwr and others cheers for sharing your mounts, mods and build journeys.

6 Likes

I’ve never been to a Maker’s Faire (they don’t have even the equivalent in Aus) but I’ve been to a ton of wooden boat festivals.

One thing I learned from my good friend and co-conspirator Michael Storer was to leave the perfect stuff at home if you want to engage the crowd. The boats that were built built like pieces of furniture were greatly admired and attracted a good audience, but they stood well back in admiration, knowing they could never achieve that level of finish.

The imperfect ones were fantastic - people would see a mistake or a run in the epoxy and think “I could do that!” and would happily come closer to inspect and chat.

So take your half asred MP3DP and be prepared to talk your socks off! :smiley:

4 Likes

Everyone have fun! I will be here across our nation waiting for play by play!

4 Likes

I’m sure your stuff will arrive tomorrow.
Is there a particular window for setting up? Or does everything happen Saturday AM?

We will share pictures here (or a new thread?) should be plenty of coverage between here and twitter. Maybe I’ll get to come your way for a RRF one day soon!

Bring it, if it prints we will run it, if it doesn’t we should get some time to help you get it closer if not running.

Exactly!

Setup is Friday after 12 If you are setting up at my area, if you want your own space it is after 2, https://rockymountainreprapfestival.com/event-details/ Not exactly sure I am shooting for getting there at noon I guess, might take my time.

Shipping update, between 1-5pm tomorrow is the new arrival time and it has moved a bit so I am confident. I will relax a bit when I see the condition of the boxes, I think the host has a cam to check.

Bag is packed, took a shower, relax time and start the journey super early tomorrow morning. Can’t wait to meet some of you in person…and the rest of you don’t burn the place down while we are not around …or you will get grounded when I get back. Keep a close eye on K Cummings…that “trip” might be a ruse.

5 Likes

Setup day entrance,

3 Likes

Sadly events like this don’t really exist in Aus (perhaps there’s one in Melbourne?) but if you do find yourself visiting, I’m sure we have enough members of this forum within a few thousand k to arrange a get together! :wink:

4 Likes

Sounds like a good reason to start one up yourself! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes