Rigid R2202 from Maslow

I’m strongly considering making the change from a Maslow CNC to a LR3 for a number of reasons.

Since I’ve already invested in a Rigid R2202 router for the Maslow, is it possible to use that as my spindle, or do I need to get one if the recommended routers?

3 Likes

is it this one, it looks like most of the routers used here.

1 Like

That’s the one. It’s not a trim router, which makes the weight a concern for me.

Recently saw a LR3 repeatedly lifting 20lb weight (at 800mm/min) added to gantry which already had 1-1/4HP router attached. Stock V1E steppers configured at 0.68amp (room to go higher). Well aligned and lubed 4 start leadscrews I think? Hopefully someone will share a link… autonomous has a nice big bosche router attached to his LR3 modded with larger steppers and drivers.

Personally would like to build a Maslow 4 at some point, that’s looking cool too.

Opulo LumenPnP as well :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

The total router weight 10 pound, so I guess the main unit alone should weight around 8 pounds?
That’s roughly twice the weight of the makita unit

The LR3 can lift pretty heavy routers though , you may need to switch to a finer pitch lead screw and/or 4 start leadscrew, and slow down the Z speed a little
I have 1mm pitch leadscrews on mine, and it wont drop under the weight of the router, even when the motors are not powered up.

I’d be more concerned about the main unit’s diameter and height than the weight
This router is 3 ⅝” (=~90mm) in diameter, vs the intended 2.5" (65mm) makita router
This would require you to design a custom mount…
I’ve seen 80mm mounts done already (LR3 80mm Water Cooled Spindle - #19 by jrs), but at 90mm, you may hit a limit with the core’s size (the round recess in the core might be too shallow) and this will require substantial modifications
Also, witha taller unit, you might need to add some support on top to avoid leverage… see above mentionned post about this

All of this sounds like the wise move would be to go with a different router :grinning:

As @azab2c already mentioned: Weight is not the problem. I put two more tools on it when I was running tests as to why Z is dropping (it was not the weight). You can see it here:

2 Likes

It would definitely be an easier route. And if you wanted to you could keep the Maslow and have two cncs. Depends on how much time you want to spend designing vs how much money you want/can spend on build

I’d also like to add that @vicious1 has some kinda NDA with the kobalt router which is supposed to be announced tomorrow so maybe wait to see what happens there

Oh, good to know. I have a few more attempts to get the Maslow working before I jump ship and start working on an LR3.

Thanks, everyone!

1 Like

I thought the maslow was simple, are you having problems?

Have been happy with stock LR3 when using sharp new single flute upcut bits that pull into the wood/ply.

When using downcut bits for Acrylic/Polycarbonate I found it somewhat helpful (but not required) to add more weight Cutting acrylic panels for MP3DP - #52 by azab2c, but using the right bit for the task had more of an impact. Haven’t tried compression bits, they sound cool for certain situations. Am new to this stuff and learning…

1 Like

I really want to try one. But most the “kits” that they come in are extra bits and the good/trustable brands are usually close to $100… I’m like $50 in for every bit I have, not sure I’m ready to spend that much for one bit…

Compression bits work great when you want to cut all the way through and want it clean on both sides.

I’ve had really good luck with these…

1/8”

https://amzn.to/3QD0GMn

1/4”

https://amzn.to/3SnqywR

1 Like

Hmmm… Do they make gas station sushi bits? You know, the opposite of compression, they make the chips explode out of both ends of the cut at the same time. Seems like it would help the heat load on a through-cut.

2 Likes

Took me a second not gonna lie :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Those 1/4 are shiny going to have to add those to the next order… now to convince the wife…

1 Like

They have shiny 1/8" too LOL

https://amzn.to/3FDLY18

Whops cough…cough 1/8 inch shiny ones

Now @Jonathjon is going to tell you that it is easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission. :smiley:

1 Like