Ridgid r2901

Hi everyone! I have a Ridgid r2901 from my Maslow CNC that I want to use for my new MPCNC. I’m still printing parts so nothing is assembled yet. The r2901 is 92mm in diameter, but otherwise very similar to the recommended Makita. To use the r2901, do I just:

1. Make a tool mount for it
  2. Add an extra ~25mm to the x and y dimensions in the calculator

?

My MPCNC will be small, I was only planning on a 12"x12"x3.5" working area, and I don’t plan on milling anything much bigger than 9"x9", but I do want to work with aluminum and wood both. Is there anything else I need to do different for the larger tool? Related to that, if I want to make the MPCNC bigger in the future, I just replace the EMT and belts and set it up again, right?

Thanks!

The mpcnc is a fairly light weight build and weight can cause deflections and variances in cut depth/ angle.

I don’t have that router but i do have a similarly sized one that i use for other projects. It’s too heavy imo for the cnc.

Good point. The Ridgid is 2lbs heavier than the Makita, which is a 50% increase in tool weight.

Well, I’ll give it a shot and report back. Thanks!

The other issue with larger routers is the center of mass will be further out, which is more leverage. It will probably work. Just don’t hang it out any further than it has to be. And if you can’t cut as fast as you like, then consider the router. The kobalt is on clearance for $40 some places if you can find one.

Makes sense! It looks like Harbor Freight also has a Makita clone for $45, before coupons. So the tool being light is more important than the extra 3/4 HP the Ridgid r2901 delivers?

I use the bauer (Harbor freight) on mine. The makita mounts work with it.