Resurfacing a cutting board with a spoilboard bit

I used this bit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071748JQN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I haven’t been super engaged in the forum lately. Lots of work stuff, especially keeping by service streams protected from all the gremlins that just lurk everywhere waiting to mess up the feed.

Here is an old cutting board that got a burn spot. I had gone off and left a pot full of turkey bones from a soup on the stove. Luckily it was a heavy bottom stainless stock pot, so no issues with the gallon pot. But when I came home into the smoke, I grabbed the pot and put it down right on the largest cutting board I had. Scorch city. So I just used the other side for the past couple years.

The one use case to rationalize my build of the MPCNC was to surface edge grain cutting boards. If I made a couple large, heavy cutting boards and gave them as gifts, that would equal the cost of the build. Well, after all the bells and whistles, maybe about 20 cutting boards.

I didn’t quite have the operations centered right on the cutting board, so it left a little edge on the left. No problem with short custom operation to take that line.

Note in lower left where the MPCNC dips down before heading over to start the operation. I know I have read on this forum about that issue, but I hadn’t encountered it for a while. I haven’t used my machine for a couple weeks and am out of practice.

I don’t know if my feed it too slow for the RPM. I do have a second speed on my router to go a little slower. Pretty fine sawdust. It when everywhere. My dust collection needs some attention, especially getting some bristles for the sweep rather than felt fingers.

8mm/s, 0.5mm step down. 45% step over. I took a millimetre off the surface.

Gouge I left in top left corner with the pass I had to add to fix that left edge. Didn’t calculate correctly on the line length for full width of the 1" bit.

The way this is glued up, the fact that my Z isn’t perfectly trammed doesn’t show too much, but it is off and I don’t have a perfectly flat surface. Now I have something to work with to chase down the coplanar surface. Two things going on. One is Z tram and the other is coplanar travel of X and Y, which I don’t quite have yet. The far side of the Y axis is a little high.

I can take another millimeter off and get a little more burn out, but it’s actually fine as is. Once I get my Z trammed better and my spoil board co planar with XY, I’ll try this again.

And finally the last thing. I have only done one short project in the last six weeks, so I am out of practice with the work flow. Stuck my finger into the dust shoe to clear out some shavings and put my finger in a little too far. Dumb. Just a flesh wound.

4 Likes

Easy way to lose a fingertip! The way I get the rails level with each other is to use a block of wood cut to the height I want the lower tubes to be. Then I start at one corner and put it under the tube and tighten the screws on the feet. Then move to the next corner, rinse repeat. That gets everything close enough to coplanar to the table. After that it’s just a quick tram on the Z. If your printer prints straight, it’s usually close enough to not worry about. For cutting boards, even if you have a little bit of ridginess, it’s easy to finish with a sander.

2 Likes

I need to reprint my feet and find a way to get them to tighten correctly. I have been unable to get enough clamping pressure to keep them up. I have done my best to cut the four leg tubes the same, but there are minute variations so I do need address the leg length/feet. I’ve tried table to give some grip, but they slide down regardless. I have laser cut some spacer and put them in to get exact height, but without the feet being tight, it doesn’t quite work. It’s an issue I have had from the beginning, but since it works ok on small projects that get surface and the cut outs, I’ve lived with it.

Well, that’s why we get 10 of them. 8^)

Running away, eh? You yellow bastards! Come back here and take what’s coming to ya! I’ll bite your legs off.

6 Likes