Replacement for SKR Pro 1.2

Hello,
I bought this kit from the v1 shop.
Shipping took forever, I had to pay €40 as import taxes, and then… I probably destroyed the SKR Pro! :frowning:

Basically what happened was:

• I mounted the drivers on their slots
  • I plugged the monitor cables, three in total
  • I plugged the SKR Pro power cable only the main power
  • The SKR Pro came to life, monitor too, only I got the “TMC connection error” on the display.

Of course, I forgot to wire the motor power, right?

Now at this step, I was careless and probably messed up the wiring because when I plugged the board again with the bridge between “main” power and “motor” power connectors I felt a smell coming from the board.
Inspecting the board one fuse is definitely blown, the blue one 15 amperes.

I replaced it, but now only one led on the board is lit when I plug the power connector, and the monitor does not turn on.

So, I tried using usb (only usb, no other power connections) to power the board by moving the jumper in the usb position and the board came to life again, the monitor turned on with the usual error message about TMC connection.

Probably something on the main power or motor power circuitry is fried, and I can’t identify what.
I could never fix the board myself and finding someone skilled enough to fix it is not gonna be cheap, even if I can find someone in the first place.

So I have to replace the board but finding the exact model (SKR Pro 1.2) for sale in Europe is proving impossible, and I can’t wait a couple of months again for shipping from the US or China… in short, I’d like to know if any of these boards could function as a replacement.
I’d still like to use the TFT monitor and the drivers I got in the kit.
Links are in Italian, but maybe you can still check them?

I’m a bit sad right now, so if anyone could help me find the right replacement I’ll be very grateful.

1 Like

Sorry to hear it. Can you try powering it up with the motor power connected and USB? If the CPU isn’t dead and the drivers all work that could be a temporary answer.

Otherwise, what I’d probably do is order one from China and use something else in the meantime. A cheap RAMPS stack ought to work for the time being. You can use the TFT in Marlin Mode, which is the recommended way to use it anyhow.

Yeah I tried connecting motor power and usb, and I get the TMC connection error. I think some resistors or capacitors or something on that part of the board is gone… and I really hope I didn’t fry the drivers too :expressionless:

I’ll try to look at RAMPS then, right now I don’t even know what that is. Thanks.

https://www.amazon.ca/RAMPS-Printer-Controller-MEGA2560-Jumper/dp/B07DFKC3RF

Or, I can recommend something like this:

https://www.amazon.ca/Controller-Mainboard-Ramps1-4-Extruder-Accessories/dp/B07V7C6491

I used an MKS Gen L v1.0 for my Primo initially. It is all one board instead of the RAMPS 1.4 + Arduino Mega 2560. It will use exactly the same firmware and flashing procedure as the RAMPS 1.4

The first link, I do not know if it includes the little connector board that you need for the LCD, but I know that the MKS Gen L v1.0 has the connectors. One word of caution, the connectors on the MKS board are probably keyed backwards, but we can get past that.

If you had made a mistake with connecting the second power input (by getting the +12V and ground reversed) it would not blow the 15A fuse. I’m afraid your error was in fitting at least one of your stepper drivers the wrong way around. The 15A fuse is in the Vmoto line - protecting the stepper motor supply, and as far as I can see only goes to those steppers. I would suggest you look carefully at the orientation of the stepper drivers you have inserted and if one is wrong it is toast. I would also remove all the stepper drivers and retry your SKR board power as the SKR itself may be OK still…

2 Likes

Mike has a good point.

Also, the 12V power supply might not like hwving enough current pulled from it to blow the 15A fuse, so it may be worth trying a different power supply as well with all of the stepper drivers pulled.

I was pretty sure I’d destroyed a board, and it turned out to be the power supply that was toasted.