Recommendations for Laser Air Assist Pump

Does anyone have a recommendation for a 12V air pump for laser air assist? I am in the middle of a custom build and really would like to run this off of the 12V power supply that will be in the machine already. I don’t want to deal with switching 110V AC.

I’m interested in knowing more about that as well, so, to expand on that question, what are the pressure and flow requirements for air assist?

1 Like

I bought a cheap Amazon one and as far as I can tell it works fine, quieter than the cooling fans of the laser module honestly. It doesn’t take much, you’re just pushing smoke away.

IMG_2593

1 Like

what are the pressure and flow requirements for air assist?

I saw a shootout on YouTube comparing different air assist devices. The bottom line is that any air assist device (even a small aquarium pump) makes a substantial difference, but more air is better. The winner was a full air compressor. I think it was run at about 20psi.

I don’t want to deal with switching 110V AC.

There are pre-made IOT relays that make switching AC safe and easy. Here is one example. I think this one works up to 12A.

1 Like

I bought two pumps sold by two different Laser manufacturers, both were aquarium pumps like the one in @Dreyfus 's post above - they weren’t even repackaged!