Reality Capture photogrammetry (3d photo-scanning) software is now FREE!

Not much more to say really!
I’d looked at it before, and I was chatting with Mikolas from Prusa about Reality Capture last week, because he uses it a lot and discovered as of this month there’s a free tier for those turning over less than $1m per year! (that’s me!!!)

For those who don’t know - you use your phone or camera to take as many images as you need and the software will stitch a three d model which can then be exported in a format you choose.

It’s an extraordinarily powerful bit of kit - I am seriously thinking of a few projects (if only life wasn’t so short) and apart from the obvious simple scanning stuff there are a few tutorials on youtube on making terrain models using a basic drone.

All the best with that! :crazy_face:

13 Likes

My friend came over yesterday after he learned about 3D scanning. This might be fun to try with him. I did try it forever ago with the Prusa video, but sounds like I need to give it another try. Thanks for the heads up!

1 Like

iPhone has a pretty good app for 3d scanning. Tried it out and took a 3d scan of the Wheel House at work lol. But haven’t tried it for any real parts yet.

Autodesk had one you could use with your phone. The images got uploaded to the cloud for processing. I think it died many years ago. I remember using it to convert one of my plastic models into a 3d model.

I have a 3D scanner but haven’t managed to use it for anything useful yet.

what kind off brand?

It’s a Creality CR-Scan Lizard. I got it through Kickstarter. It was a pretty wild ride because they got sued before delivery. Like everything else, there’s a bit of a learning curve. I’m not very good at tweaking the defects in the scanned model. They have newer, better scanners now.

What tools do you use for cleaning up? There’s a missing tool in between meshmixer, blender and the pricy full 3d suits.

I’m very much a beginner in Meshmixer but for the few things I’ve done it’s been fine. Here’s a scan from a few years ago using EM3D, ad iPhone app that works using the face recognition camera, and a very quick and tiny bust printed from it.

Photogrammetry is another story - the more photos and the the higher quality, the better the scan.

I really want to do more, but I really want to do more of a lot of things!

3 Likes

I was mostly using the software that came with it, but it’s pretty limited. I started messing with Meshmixer but I never got too far into it.

1 Like

I found this pretty cool youtube video a couple years ago about doing it for free, but I never tested it because I never had a pc with a good enough graphics card.

Good pc and 4k camera phone.