Quiet spindle vs. DeWalt 660?

Thank you. I have tried hearing protection but he won’t have any part of it and his naps are only 45 minutes if I’m lucky. I might try to build an enclosure and lineout with carpet.

Thank you. I have tried hearing protection but he won’t have any part of it and his naps are only 45 minutes if I’m lucky. I might try to build an enclosure and lineo it with carpet?

Bit* and vac*… Geez.

Enclosing it will help. You might as well build it predicting you will enclose it, but procrastinate for a while until you know better yourself.

W.r.t. naps, we bought an “ok to wake” light, that’s connects via blue tooth (baby nest or similar name). He knows if he gets out of bed before the light is blue, I’ll turn it off. My son’s a big fan of rules though, YMMV.

I have been using a DW660 with a SuperPID controller.

I saw this post last night while milling aluminum.

The DW660 was running at around 5500 RPM and I couldn’t believe how quiet it was.

I can set the speed with either a PWM signal or manually using a knob.

1 Like

I hope to try out a PID speed controller really soon.

I hope that you do too. Would love to fix one up for my machine as well. The speed control is great but you do have to fiddle with it during the operation cause they dont hold rpm all that well.

I’ve seen that there are some smart phone apps that measure sound levels and display them in decibels. The standard is to hold it 1 meter from the sound source. It would be nice if people would take decibel measurements of their spindle noise and post them. If we pool our measurements, perhaps we can conclude something.

I run the 660, a shop vac, and my air compressor all at the same time. Ear plugs-always. I have a rheostat on mine. Anyone know of a fairly accurate way to measure the RPM?

Agreed. Everything is loud enough that I don’t worry about the spindle noise.

If you just want to know what it is with a manual test, you can buy a cheap optical tachometer from amazon or harbor freight. It won’t be constant when you apply a load. Ryan is working on a PID loop that will include a sensor mounted in the 660 and a pwm controlled dimmer switch to control the RPMS. It’s in a thread about a software or hardware fix… I can’t remember.

If you like to fiddle a bit I do have the RPM side of things dialed in, with or without an LCD or Oled. Maybe I will put up a partial kit and some instructions. The control side is a few weeks away as I am waiting on the electronics.

The point of these questions is I want to save money. I plan to build the Lowrider in about a year. Right now, I’m focusing on the MPCNC and it’s Dewalt 660.

• Is there an attachment for the 611 Dewalt? I'm using the 660.
  • Is there a reason why I shouldn't use the Dewalt 660?
  • I don't see anyone using the 611 on the Lowrider. Is there a reason?
  • Is there an adapter for the Lowrider to attach a 611 or should I stick with the 660 on the Lowrider?
1 Like

The 660 is the smaller one, the 611 is the bigger one with the router base. The 611 has a mount for the low rider, because it comes with that router base and mounts to the flat surface. The 660 is mounted with bands around it for the MPCNC. There are some mounts for routers similar to the 611 for the mpcnc, but IDK if I’ve seen one. I also don’t think I’ve seen a mount for the 660 on the LR.

It feels like you’ve been asking questions for a long time Mike, when are you going to get this this running?

1 Like

I built the MPCNC. I’m using it for smaller parts. At some point I will have a Lowrider. I’m trying to save money by reusing some of my parts for the Lowrider.

Are you uncomfortable about me asking questions? Isn’t that what the forum is for? If you don’t mind answering me, what business is it of yours how many questions I ask?

I own the machine, I contribute to others when they ask questions. I’m building another one and eventually will have three or four going full time plasma cutting, and building parts for furniture among other things. So why ask a silly question like that?

I’m sorry. I didn’t mean it like that. I just was trying to encourage you. I dont mind the questions and I appreciate your contributions to the conversation.

Let me just butt in here real quick.

Mike you would be much better off if you took every single response here as if it was your buddy just messing with you. People in a shop turning off the airline before you go to shoot some brad nails, tickling your ear when you are focusing, lighthearted, always (unless in involves math…that is so0me shit ish). None of us ever have ever gotten into any heavy rude discussions here, at worse it is just a misunderstanding because of a language barrier, never intentional hostility.

Try to have fun with your responses or all of the details just get boring answering them for the 400th time (for some of us).

4 Likes

And it is a good thing, the more people mess with you the more comfortable they are with you. To me that means they respect your answers and opinions and the more they feel like you are actually friends and can poke a little bit.

I mean only Barry in honored with have a near catastrophe named after him…have you ever Barry’d your bit and started a fire?

4 Likes

To be honest I was sorta thinking the same thing, Mike. Show off more, and it will dispel impressions of being a librarian, for lack of a better word. Not that I would mind that either, but you might get short changed if people don’t realize you’ve built a real machine that can do real work.

I know you didn’t ask for this feedback and I hope you don’t take it in a negative way. I am glad for your contributions, even if you are short on vanity. :slight_smile:

I guess the way it’s worded came across that way. I’m posting pics. I started making my waste board and using Aspire to create the file, it went great at first. The machine was unlevel so I should have leveled it first. Lesson one. then drilled the holes for my tee nuts. Now it’s impossible to line up the holes and the file keeps going to the wrong orientation when I run the file. The3 very first run, I had to change XY around and that fixed it. Now, that doesn’t work.

As for the 660 or 611, I have the smaller for the MPCNC. Space is limited in my shop like most people’s shop. At some point, I will get a porta-building for the Lowrider and then get the other machines built in there. I was thinking I could start printing the Lowrider parts now and then move my 660 over to the Lowrider but with the heavier carving I want to do, I was thinking it was better to switch the 660 over for the 611 on the MPCNC.

The concern is that it’s heavier and the gantry can’t handle it on the MPCNC. If I use it on the Lowrider, then it’s going to burn out sooner which defeats the whole purpose. I was wondering if anyone had tried it and what their results were before I go through the headache of making attachments et al.

Now that I write this, I think the best solution is to buy the bigger router and leave it in a box until I have the LR parts printed. I’ll order the LR hardware and things I need and be done with two machines so I can divide the work among them. Here’s some pics of my MPCNC

[attachment file=“CNCPIC1[1].jpg”]
[attachment file=“CNCPIC2[1].jpg”]

1 Like

AFAIK, the 660 hasn’t been mounted on a low rider amd it would be pretty ticky to do without creating the same surface as the mpcnc.

The 611 hasn’t been mounted on the MPCNC AFAIK, but that seems more doable, since there are other cylindrical mounts for it, although it would be huge. The farther the load gets from the tubes, the more it will sag, and the heavier router will also sag more. The 660 is the ideal router for the MPCNC.

You shouldn’t worry too much about burning them out, the brushes are what burn out and they are easy to replace. Dewalt has a 1 year warranty, so if you’re not using it, I would wait to buy it. You can just put the money in the box instead :).

The 611 is a nice router to have around the shop too for things like chamfers and round overs. I wish I had bought the one with two bases so I could remove it and use it with the base in the shop.

Sorry again for the miscom. I really didn’t mean any ill will and you shouldn’t feel the need to justify your presence. You’re part of the crew like everyone else.

2 Likes

That’s the hard thing about forums. No visual body language communication so things come across wrong. The tone of voice, facial expressions, temperament is all missing. No prob. I really did build my machine if that helps.

I slept all night and came to the same conclusion, not a workable solution either way. My machine jar will get filled up for that build. I have one of those big pickle jars I throw change and bills into for things like my MPCNC and the Lowrider. Here I go again.

1 Like