Quick questions about Lowrider 3

Anyone have any sort of good comparison data to other CNCs in this sector? I mainly ask because I had a MakerMade M2. Needless to say, I wasn’t super happy with it. It felt like it was always broken and the chain driven system left alot to be desired.

Fast forward to now and I have just gotten back into 3D printing. I bought a monoprice maker select back in 2016. I work in tech/infosec so I enjoy tinkering. I now have a MK3S+ and Mini+. Then I came across the lowrider. It has peaked my interest and I have started my printers printing the parts. I found during the pandemic that I enjoyed doing some woodworking and I thought this project could combine the two.

Any information from a feeds and speeds comparison? How does it do with hardwoods like walnut and cherry?

1 Like

If you look around the forum you will find loads of threads about those questions. There is also a “Things you’ve made” category that shows pretty well what’s possible. :slight_smile:

Thanks. I was just mostly curious on how this compares to the M2. Is it slower/faster/more accurate/etc…

I don’t know the M2 and I am not sure how many do. This is my “standard” list, for example 2000mm in hardwood with a 6mm. I think I could go faster, but am not sure about that, never tried (with an MPCNC that is). The DOC is higher most of the times, with the 3.175 I go 4.1mm deep when cutting 12mm wood for instance. Hope that helps more than the last comment. :smiley:

2 Likes

This is amazing! This really helps!

2 Likes

If you’ve got specific questions about the endmills, just ask, since they are in German. :slight_smile:

Here is a video with 11mm depth aluminium in one go and trochoidal: Cutting Aluminium - YouTube It does flex a bit, but I just wanted to try whether it works. The pieces came out great anyway.

8000mm/min planing an MDF board: Vacuum Table 8000mm/min. Neeeeeeeeooooooooooow. - YouTube So faster is always a possibility, but I use TB6600 drivers, don’t know if the others can do that.

1 Like

That is pretty amazing. I would love more information on your setup. I know it is a MPCNC, but what is the size that you went with? Seems like a pretty great setup!

1 Like

I will probably have questions once I get everything printed and start building the lowrider.

1 Like

Here is the build thread for the Primo. The lowrider is in the making under the name Froschkönig. :smile:

2 Likes

Do I need to reprint this? These are the xz plates. Looks like the corner lifted up on these. I assume the answer is yes

When I was getting started with using my first LowRider (a v2, and I’m now on a v3), one of my biggest areas of questioning was about feeds and speeds. I know quite a bit of info is available on the internet just by googling, but I wound up buying an app dedicated solely to calculating feeds and speeds, called G-Wizard by CNCCookbook. Each time I run the numbers for a new project, I’m always amazed out how fast and how deep is tells me to go, and then similarly impressed that the LowRider 3 can indeed carry the mail at the suggested speeds!

Looks interesting, they even have a Lite version you can use indefinitely for 79$ if your spindle is <2hp: G-Wizard Lite Plans and Pricing

1 Like

I think that plate is critical for the alignment at the end. So I would reprint it, or else be ready to shim it.

1 Like

Thanks! I did.

1 Like