Quick LED Question

Cool!

1 Like

This is incredible.

1 Like

That is so great, now can you do a bit of overlay code so the steppers play music in conjunction with the lights? :thinking:

2 Likes

I can‘t believe you would take such a serious topic and make a joke out of it! :stuck_out_tongue:

I need a tutorial on all of this. Where do I start lol. Not mention coding still learning basic wiring.

Im gonna attempt this, but i have one question. Sorry if this sounds silly but…
The Neopixel led strips. How many wires are there? Im assuming it has 3/4 (RGB/W), and possibly a 5v and GND. So 5 cables total? If im only using say PE4, which one goes to PE4? or does it come with a separate driver that PE4 connects to?
Do you have a wiring diagram just so i can get a better understanding of this?
Where did you source 12V? from the SKR Pro or a seperate supply?
Im planning on doing the second LED Strip set on PE2…Will this be a issue as i noticed you used PF8.
Should i get the WS2815’s which are 12VDC or WS2812’s which are 5VDC and being 5vdc can this be pulled from the SKR or separate supply?

Which LEDs do you have? Neopixels usually have power ground and data. Some have a backup data as well. I run WS2815 LEDs on mine that are 12v with the backup data line. So you’ll have to see what kind of lights you have. If you have the ones with individual wires for R G B then you won’t be able to use the neopixel in marlin. There is another section for using those

1 Like

I’m deciding between 2815 and 2812.
2812 seem to be easier to source (eBay) compared to 2815 only difference is 5v vs 12v.
From the pics on eBay it seems to have 5 wires unless they are just a generic pic. Hence why I thought they had 5 wires. But if they are only 3 wires then that makes more sense.
For the 3 wires, can the 5v/12v & gnd be used from a seperate supply? Or does it have to share the same gnd/supply as the skr?

A lot of times they will have an extra power and ground wire along with the 3/4 wire plug. It’s just extra for injecting power on a long run

Either option will work good. Just make sure you pick up a power converter for your voltage LEDs. I had several ws2815 strips on hand from a large outside project I did that I wanted 12v for. Got a good deal from AliExpress for them.

If I use a seperate 12v supply, would I need the power converter? Or does it need to use the same supply as the skr hence why I need the power converter?
Can you provide a link of a power converter?

Separate power supply will work just fine. Then all you need is data and ground from the skr. Hook your grounds together

1 Like

This is my thinking, tell me if its correct.

1 Like

I dont run my power from the board. I always run my boards from 24v but i see you are putting 12v there. Also never mixed power into the board like that so I cant comment if thats correct or not. All the rest looks good. Just have to define those pins in the neopixel section in marlin

Yeah, in one of my previous posts, i was told it was ok to have 12V and 24V separately to stepper motors.
The 2 supplies are isolated from each-other, the worry was that if i had 24V where the 12V supply is, that all 12V pins would be 24V at the time, but this was later confirmed that they still remained 12V regardless whether 12v or 24V was used, but possibly all VCC pins would be the supply voltage.

I am thinking of changing it now to just have 2x 24V on the board (board/stepper, bridging the supply) and now just using the dedicated 12VDC just for leds and/or other 12V items. Especially since i have a higher current output from the 24V transformer as compared to the 12V supply

1 Like

You switched your trees! :open_mouth:

1 Like

Lol yes! Finally got a better logo lol

1 Like

Ok so i have all my led’s functioning.
However, when i turn all led’s off. after a few hours (3+) i notice some leds turn on in the strip, random colors. What could be causing this?>

I have some that do that as well and honestly I’m not sure what is causing it. I figured it was a ground somewhere that I don’t have hooked up well enough. I’ve been using my machine too much lately to be able to take it down and figure it out. If you get it figure out please post up what you find!

I’m wondering if maybe I need a pull down resistor on the led data line? Maybe noise (emf) is the culprit. So wondering if i add a pull down resistor to ground would this solve it? But then it may interfere with the leds when I do want to set a colour and/or turn them on? Anyone else try or have a solution?

1 Like

That’s not a bad thought at all. And I want to say they have something like that on the digiq WLED boards but I could be completely wrong as well. Easy enough to test and see

2 Likes