Purple heart Pencil Case with Unicorn Inlay

Okay guys, really happy with this one, it’s pretty dope. :slight_smile: I had some problems with my feeds as I said in my build thread, but still turned out great.

You can see that the purple heart is darker in this picture, it was taken half an hour before the other one. Why did the colour change?

This is the reason: I had stacked the freshly cut purple heart and noticed that the wood lying below was brownish and only the one exposed to air and light turned purple. Very interesting, googled it, needs exactly those two things. So the pencil case is going to turn even more purple I hope. :slight_smile:

Video coming soonish… :smiley:

13 Likes

That looks awesome. I don’t know where I can get my hands on anything as nice as purple heart.

1 Like

I did search for a long time, but found a supplier of nearly every wood you’d ever need that sells to private people (Philipp in wonderland). :slight_smile:

Hah, that’s brilliant. My best option I can find is charity shops for old brown furniture. I have a whacking big slab of something that used to be a cafe table but it’s a mystery what it is

2 Likes

First one looks like oak to me. :smiley:

That’s beautiful wow.
I never even heard of this purple wood lol

1 Like

Flawless!

1 Like

Fun fact: purple heart is cheaper than black walnut in Germany, because the way from Africa is shorter than the one from the US. -_-

IIRC purple heart tends to turn brown over time and your best hope of keeping it purple is a UV protecting sealer, but don’t trust me on that, your experience is running counter to that.

Nice inlay!

(somewhat related - I believe bloodwood is partially called that since if you work with it and then wash your hands, the color of the water looks as if you cut yourself - I was wondering where the cut was when bloody looking water was coming off my hands)

Yes, that’s what I read as well. First purple and over the years brown. I don’t have a sealer yet, so that pencil case will turn brown after a few years. :sweat_smile:

IIRC - Purple heart will get more purple as it is exposed to the sun (uv light), but there is a window where too much exposure will then start to turn it brown. Get a sealer (any clear coat should work I believe) to keep that rich purple color.

2 Likes

Video is up:

3 Likes