Pull up resistor

Ok I’m having an interment problem on my Z2 where when homing it will make it to the end stop and just fall. It’s not passing the endstop. As soon as I hear the click it tanks. I was told in my build thread that I needed to either remove the led on the board or install a pull up resistor. I really don’t want to remove the led so can someone point me in the right direction for installing a resistor? What ohm and where does it need to be? Just for the axis with a problem or should I do it for all just to be safe? Thanks!!!

I used 1.5kOhm resistors.

I attached one for each endstop to be safe.

1 Like

Thank you!!! i never thought about adding it to the bottom side. that will be much easier! i have a bunch of 470Ohm. hoping they will be enough.

Based on other forum posts, a 4.7K resistor is too high. You want something around 1K to 2K. A 4.7K resistor might not pull the voltage up enough to solve the problem. The resistor goes between the ‘S’ pin and the VCC pin. It can be done without modifying the board, though Christian’s soldering looks like a very clean solution. You might want to run the test before you modify your board to make sure your problem is a pin voltage issue.

Also make sure the Z2 endstop and Z1 endstop aren’t swapped. If you have them swapped, the Z1 endstop stop the wrong motor and one motor keep driving.

1 Like

Yes sir this has been verified. Its not every time. Only sometimes. Which makes it more frustrating! I posted about it a while back in my LR3 build thread and Ryan said to add the pull up resistor. I just never got around to it because it doesn’t happen every time lol.

1 Like

The ones I have are 470Ø not 4.7kØ

How would I go about testing to verify the problem?

3.3V/470Ohm is about 7mA. So 7mA will be moving (at most) through that resistor. That should be fine.

How would I go about testing to verify the problem?

I was suggesting you wire the resistor in and just see if the problem goes away before you solder it in. A sure way would be for the LED to be on but an M119 command to show the endstop as open. Since the voltage is so near the HIGH/LOW threshold, the issue might be hard to catch with an M119. I could see the issue being intermittent.

1 Like