PSA: Choose an avatar

I’ll be honest, I am often doing two things at once when I read the forums. I don’t look at every letter or even every word. Mea cupla.

I do immediately recognize avatars though. No doubt you know my smiling face well.

Having some picture that can be distinguished from peripheral vision really helps quickly associate a picture with a memory. At least for me, but I think it probably helps everyone.

You don’t have to use your face. I know @kvcummins from his B&W animal from across the room.

That is just some unsolicited advice. No drama prompting this or anything. Just something I wanted to get on paper for a while.

8 Likes

How is this?

3 Likes

It’s a lemur. My vanity domain (for about 30 years) is madlemur.com. Long, boring story that ties into my ADHD.

1 Like

Perfect!

It is nice to have avatars. I usually have no idea what they are and I remember them far more than I even remember names. At the shows, MRRF and RMRRF, It takes me forever to put a name to a forum user, I am gonna need everyone to bring an avatar badge from here on out. :smile: It is nice when they match across platforms but I understand that is not usually the case.

6 Likes

When I get a chance to go to an event, I’ll print my avatar on a t-shirt

2 Likes

I used a laser logo, LOL

2 Likes

@azab2c had his logo on his shirt!

The RepRap fests are pretty crazy. It is full of some people you recognize from YouTube, and then all the people that in the forums, commenters from Twitter and Instagram, the FB regulars. Kind of a mind twister. Always trying to figure out if you know someone and from where. I usually end up asking people if I know them, and I try to start a conversation with who I am, if they might know of the project.

I can only imagine how many people know of the project but don’t comment or comment enough to recognize them. Then there are all the behind the scenes people, or pivotal on other projects.

Maybe I should change my avatar to my face…that could help. Dang Heffe, always a few years ahead.

4 Likes

As if YOU could change your avatar? Who’s that guy in the picture? :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

First I thought it was a sperm, thought it was fitting regarding your comments… :smiley:

4 Likes

It’s a funny thing, how a face changes the impression of someone online. Earlier I thought of you @vicious1 as some kind of omnipotent and omniscient entity, that made amazing machines and had lot’s of patience and know-how. Now you just appear as a friendly guy! (still with the same abilities of course) :smiley:

8 Likes

Am I doing it right?

I honestly thought I somehow typed that, and I was very confused.

Saved. For posterity.

5 Likes

I panicked and changed it back. I didn’t want to start getting troubleshooting PMs.

3 Likes

Might be confirmation bias, but I see a lot more avatars today…

3 Likes

I would like it noted that I picked an avatar before I was told to :grin:

2 Likes

Yeah and you guys are all changing your avatars to your faces… How am I supposed to learn all your faces? I will stick to my mole with the hammer. :smiley:

6 Likes

Alright, I have added an avatar.

2 Likes

I’ve been using this avatar for about 21 years now. Here it is in my hacked G4 titanium powerbook. :rofl:

4 Likes

I’m not putting my face on here. So you’ll have to suffer with Muzzy.

2 Likes

I recognize your avatar immediately, David. It does not have to be a picture of you.

1 Like