Problem with Z Axis Motors out of sync LR2

Remember, there are 2 sets of grub screws on the Z axis. One set is on the motor shaft, and the one shoukd be on the flat part of the shaft.

The other is on the threaded rod, and there is no flat spot, unless you file/drill one in. Either set slipping could result in this.

The V1 firmware should never let the pair of motors go out of synch once powered up. You’d have to do something really weird to be able to do that.

1 Like

i have had the lowrider for 2 years now and not once have i gotten a successful cut on it. i think i will disassemble it and make the lowrider 3. (Edit: nevermind the LR3 can only cut up to 1.5 in thick material.)

@SupraGuy I have checked everything on the machine none of the grub screws are loose and the axes is not binding, could it just be a bad stepper motor?

@Ryan Do you have any ideas why this might be happening?

What control board and I need to see a picture of it wired up?

You are also using different screws. Z Problems

Please list everything you have since it is not from here. We are making assumptions based on this hardware and they will not help. We need to know what you have and pictures help more than you can imagine.

i am running a skr1.3 with this
firmware. the lead screws i use are 2mm lead and 2mm pitch.

Okay sorry but first thing is that straight piece on your vacuum has to go. That is the biggest accuracy killer we deal with around here and that has to be the largest I have seen. Hook the flexible hose straight to the port.

That firmware is not set up for your Z leadscrews, and those drivers need to be manually tuned with a multimeter on that little digipot, what voltage do you have them set at?

These two heat sinks look like they are really close to the pins. Take a quick look to make sure they are not shorting them.

That is Y and Z1

I have set the voltage on the stepper motor drivers and the heat sinks are not shorting out the drivers I checked. And I have set the steps per mm to the correct amount.

About the only way Ive ever seen a stepper motor go bad is overcurrent burning out a motor coil, which then.stips the motor from.workimg at all.

You can check the grub screws for slippage by trying to stop the leadscrew from turning while commanding movement. If you can make the screw slip, something is loose. This is orders of magnitude more likely than a motor going bad.

You can hear the stepper motors skip. It’s not a subtle sound. The firmware counts pulses, and if you tell it to move back to its start position, the motor will return to the same position to within 1/2 of a full step.

A bad stepper driver could have this effect. You can check that by swapping the driver with one on a different channel. I would suggest swapping the Y and Z drivers. If the problem moves to the Y axis, then the drivers are confirmed as the problem.

An intermittent wiring problem could also do something like this. A wire that sometimes doesn’t make connection. This sometimes happens with solid core wiring. This would be harder to catch, but this will also make an unsubtle sound. The sound that it makes when it misses a full step because of a disconnected wire is a loud thunk.

I checked both the grub screws and the driver both are fine

Any binding at all on your leadscrews, can you very easily move them all the way up and down with your fingers twisting the screws?

How are you moving them, what speeds are you trying?

No binding at all, i am trying to move them at 200mm / min

1 Like

Are they moving 10mm when asked. As in are you sure the steps are correct?
Is the problem only one side or both?
Take the lead screws off and observe and feel each Z steppers strength. matched?

Are you wires series or parralel? Parallel is no good at all.

At this point you have said everything is perfect. So something we have asked is not perfect.

The drivers power the stepper, voltage under and over is a problem.

Physical binding, or loose grub.

Firmware steps correct.

Moving them at the right speed. At your 3mm/s they should easily lift 20-30lbs each. But a slightly binding nut will stop them.

Wire connections, loose and they will move funky.

If they are moving at all it is 99.9% not an actual stepper issue. They are just loops of wire if one was broken they will not move.

when i tell them to move 10mm they move 10 mm but for some reason when i run the gcode whenever it goes to lift the z axes one moves the correct amount but the other does not i thought it might be an acceleration issue so i lowered the acceleration but that did not fix the problem.

its not doing it this badly any more but it basically still does this to a certain extent. (and yes i checked if i was giving it enough power and i was)

Swap the Z axis plugs. Does it move sides?

Parallel or series?

When you run Gcode there are two speeds you need to watch. cutting and rapids. Verify both speeds are under 15mm/s

Does the test crown have any issues running?

That is not 3mm/s that is more like 30, wayyyyyyyy to fast if you are having issues.