Problem compiling ramps dual endstop firmware

Ryan stopped updating the ramps branch (I think) so that branch may be from bugfix-2.0. But I don’t think there’s a good reason it shouldn’t build. Ryan was usually testing with arduino, so that should work. But there is another thread today trying to compile that same branch and failing. It makes me wonder if something broke.

@fingerss, Fav is trying to compile the same version of the code (I think).

Here is fingerss’s thread: Ardunio preconfigured files

I am hoping we can help each other find a way through this. I will try to build it with arduino later tonight and make sure that still works.

yes that is the same exact issue i am having when trying to compile the v1 firmware in the arduino ide. i was able to use the same firmware files in platformio and compile and upload just fine. but after getting the original firmware working i tried the dual endstop firmware and it wont compile on the ide or platformio. and i did turn on verbose while compiling on the ide and it gave a massive list of errors and took like 25 mins before it finished errored out lol

i have also tried 3 different versions of the arduino ide including 1.8.12 and 1.9 beta with the same errors on both. also have tried on 2 other computers with no luck

I am using Linux, which may be different. I also haven’t updated arduino in a while, but it just compiled for me. I have arduino 1.8.10, and u8glib 1.19.1. I will try upgrading those and see how it goes.

I see the same behavior in 1.8.12. It works just fine.

It looks a little different, maybe, because my dpi is all messed up (so some text is the wrong size on this monitor) and I have “use external editor” enabled, which makes it grayed out.

This is the MPCNC_Ramps_T8_16T_LCD_32step_DualEndstop branch, from here: https://github.com/Allted/Marlin/tree/MPCNC_Ramps_T8_16T_LCD_32step_DualEndstop

So, what are we missing? What is different? What has changed?

Do you both have the board set to the “Arduino mega or mega 2560”?

yes the board settings are correct as i said i can get the regular firmware to compile just fine on platformio and it uploads fine and i can get the motors to respond and everything. but for some reason i can not for the life of me get the dual endstop firmware to compile on either arduino or platformio. ill try to compile it again and show my output from the ide

i am running win 10 if that means anything at all

Unfortunately, I don’t have the ability to get windows 10 running. I have only Linux on my machines. I hope that isn’t the cause.

There really isn’t enough difference between the dual endstop and not versions for it to hang arduino like that. Something just isn’t adding up.

yeah i figured it wasnt much different but for some reason i have had nothing but problems. the ide has been compiling for about 20mins now ill post the output when its done

That seems totally wrong. It takes me about 20 seconds.

Do you have the verbose output on?

yeah every other sketch takes about 5 secs to compile and upload but marlin and the v1 firmware both take about 25 mins to compile before they error out

yes i have verbose enabled to show me that it was atleast doing something and not just freezing

1 Like

this is what my ide froze on after 20 mins lol

:thinking:

thank you very much whatever you did to the firmware you sent me it loaded right up in platformio and compiled and flashed the first try

i will finish testing out the firmware tomorrow evening but for now its atleast on my board lol thank you so much for the help