Primo upgrade - Tromsø, Norway

Yeah. Sure.

1 Like

I still only have a single end stop on each axis. Hard stops on the other sides.

Video was back when my mpcnc was 5 foot square.
Result!
4 Likes

Tried out the hard stops now.
Before the hard stops I was only relying on the gantry, which was out of square. The sign earlier in this thread has a difference of 2 mm on the diagonals, with a median length of 150mm. (The first measurement was not on the diagonals, but the sides)

After the hard stops I got a difference of apprx 1mm on a rectangle that had diagonals measuring 450 mm. A nice improvement!!

Would installing the electronic end stops improve it much further? The gantry is 8mm out of square, when measuring the distance between the roller and the hard stop on the left y axis, compared to the right. I guess I should disassemble the gantry, to put it back together and hopefully get it more square. Would re-assembling the gantry make any difference when I already now use the hard stops and engage the motors? (M17) I assume that the 1mm out of square (to 450mm diagonal) can just as well be a combination of variances in the frame, in my kids temper, the weather and the in space-time curvature, and so on…

You should be able to get it closer with the hardstops when you get a little more familiar with them.

Real microswitches will get closer.

Getting the gantry more square is best as it keeps any extra tension out off the steppers, but really, don’t worry about it for now. Lots of time for that down the road…or maybe a new build…

2 Likes

Thanks!! I’ve been very curious about your teasers, and for a while I considered waiting until something new came along. I’m glad I didn’t wait, because now I had my first go - and I’ve learned many things that’ll come in handy if I want to make a go with newer parts.

Exactly!

I literally always have something in the works. By the time new parts are released and instructions written I am already thinking about the next thing. No point in waiting, unless I have a release date. I have had full assemblies backfire and have to start over.

2 Likes

Greetings from the north pole. Soon I won’t find my shed!!

4 Likes

If it’s snowing, it’s warm!

(People from lower latitudes probably won’t understand that one.)

1 Like

Actually, since Tromsø is a coastal city, the weather is seldom very cold, even though we are super far north, compared to other polar regions. We give our thanks to the Mexican gulf for that!! (We do have longer periods of colder temperatures, when cold air from Siberia dominates)

1 Like

Ahh, so you guys probably get more snow than I did in AK too. Fairbanks is in an arctic desert, so not much snow, just a lot of cold. Some of the snow we got would sublime away.

2 Likes

On the flat ground, we have 130cm snow now, and the plowing edges in my neighborhood are between 2 and 3 meters… a good time to hide inside my shed and tinker with the toys. You are welcome to have some of our snow!

1 Like

Oh, no… We still have some of our own. We’ve been trying to melt it off, but our house faces South, so it doesn’t get enough sun…

1 Like

It’s snowing and we’re getting gusts to 30mph, I’m good! It was raining about 3 hours ago, so roads are going to be awesome in the morning!

1 Like

Now I’m going to sound like my grandfather: a few weeks ago, I e-biked to work in a 60mphs snowstorm. Such winds reach the news headlines in southern Norway, but way up here, we try to live as usual.

That’s not “living”, that’s “surviving”. And I got my internal compass backwards, our house faces North, which keeps the sun in our back yard, protected by trees, and our front yard is shaded by the house…

1 Like

Honestly, when I’ve had a rough day at work - nothing freshes me up as a bike ride through a snow blizzard.
Yeah - I understand you better now, didn’t really understand what you meant by the compass directions :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
If we are unlucky, we can still have snow on our lawn early June…

2 Likes

You and I have distinctly different ideas about “freshening up” after a rough day. Mine usually involves a couch, a blanket, some mindless TV, and likely a dog.

3 Likes

Whaaat… estlcam jumped from 45 sec waiting time, to 170!! I was just about to buy it, but the Norwegian krone has dropped like a stone, not a good time to buy using euros/dollars…

I bought it a few days ago :wink:

1 Like

My setup! (So far…) In the shed/outhouse, we have one room that is well insulated - the chicken coop. Haven’t been chickens there since ages - and now the MPCNC lives there. In Norwegian we call it “furtebua” - “the whining shed” - the little buildning where dad can go and feel sorry for himself and play with his toys.
The walls around the frame very temporary! I’m waiting for the new version, or for myself to disassemble the gantry to get it straight. Squaring the gantry with hard stops works okay enough - but sometimes one of the motors skip, I’m quite sure that it’s because the skew is quite severe.

6 Likes