Primo core and core clamps

So… After I got the Bambu I was so excited about the incredible print quality I ran off half-cocked and printed Primo parts without really paying attention to strength recommendations.

Successfully used 7-year-old PLA, so whatever.

I did print my first Core with Nylon-Cf, but not real dense. That was a little bendy. Printed another one with 50% infill. Better, but not quite.

I’ve been very impressed with Pla-CF, so now printing another one with 70% and four walls.

Here’s the question. Watching carefully while pushing on the Z axis, I notice quite a bit of flex around the clamps on the Core. Could these be one piece, which would be more like the Burly? Seems like that would lock things

together better.

I think it would need supports to print as one piece, but meh. I’ve accepted supports when necessary. The printers and slicers are so much better these days it seems like a small issue.

I’m interested in this as well. I also noticed some flex in this region of my MPCNC.

Depending on how this new core works, I might remix some clamps and give it a go. It’s nice to be able to change out the core without removing the tubes.

I printed a new core using PLA CF, four walls and 70% infill. Took 19 hours.

Much stiffer, now there’s almost no movement around the clamps.

I’m gonna focus on the tubes next. My belts are rather old, too.

Did you do a full 70% or a 70%/30%/70%. I haven’t noticed the Z movement on mine but I also haven’t looked at that specifically.

Full 70%. Took 19 hours on the X1C.

Printed with PLA-CF, it’s perfect. Every bolt, every bearing fit perfectly.

I reprinted the core and the clamps from stronger material and way more infill, and I’m now getting almost zero flex. Could probably gain a bit more rigidity right there by re-designing that part but it feels like hot-rodding. I suspect there are easier gains to be made elsewhere.

1 Like

I must be doing something wrong. I am on my third core attempt now and it will take 46 hours. (Ender 5 Pro with 45 infill with Handini PLA+) First attempt the power cut off and then the core came off the bed, second attempt the filament got pinched and stopped moving through the extruder.

46 hours is waaaaaaaay longer than it should take.

what is your layer height and your nozzle size?

That thing is a beast to print. I printed it 3 times with fancy filament and increasing strength. There’s a reason Ryan will sell you just a core on the V1 store.

In your case I’d consider buying one from Ryan (or getting a Bambu), or maybe mess around with re-mixing those clamps.

After many years of dcking around with 3D printing and buying parts for my Burly from Ryan because I was sick of dcking around with my printer, I finally got an X1C. Oh man, that thing is all that and a bag of chips. It’s fast, prints really good parts, and the few times it’s messed up have been my own fault for using old filament (which it still printed amazingly well.) For designing new things, the speed is awesome since you can quickly iterate through prototypes.

thanks, it is still going well at 54% and 18 hours to go.

1 Like

.20 and .4 respectively. I am a newbie to 3d printing. Only my first month but this machine has been running night and day most of the time. I was able to figure out how to increase the brim size to 7mm and that cured the problem on the first two attempts of the two corners curling up off the bed a little.

Fingers crossed…

You’re gonna want to print really good clamps to go with it…

I thought that larger layer thickness was suggested to make stronger, but maybe not as pretty parts. at 0.4 mm nozzle, 0.3 would be the max since the guideline is height should be no more than 75% of height. That would cut your print time down. in fill at 75 %, for the core with the middle part at 45 %.

Well it came out beautiful after 37 hours but now re-reading the instructions I see it was supposed to be 75% infill. I am still waiting for parts from Amazon so I have time to redo it. However, I will probably install it as is and see how it goes.

1 Like