Possible to modify the Lowrider 3 with 3000mm 20mm Fully Supported Linear Rail - Possible?

Hey folks, i have a question about the LR3 and the possibility of modifying it to use Sbr20-3000mm 20 Mm Fully Supported Linear Rails? The Lowrider 2 I purchased was an incredible machine and modified modified it easily to use with these rails on the x axis. from the research I have done into the Lowrider 3, it seems that it would be easy to modify the area that the roller bearings are installed to sit flat on the SBR20UU blocks on the one side, but it looks as though the two sides are set up differently as one rides on a rail. Has anyone done this already?
I lost the shop I was renting in Ft. Meyers to Hurricane Ian and unfortunately, the Lowrider 2 is a total loss, except for those rails and the fellow I was renting from didn’t have proper insurance so its a start fresh and the workhorse of my shop is the CNC and I’m rebuilding as I make money. I may salvage the 3d printed parts and turn the old lowrider 2 into a killer CNC lathe.
Any advice or information regarding a linear rail and block system would be appreciated.
Peace, and thanks for everything Ryan.

I think it is better to have a rail on only one side and not both sides, because with rails on both sides they need to be perfect and match the dimension of the gantry, or else it will strain the joints as the rails fight each other. It’s better to have a single rail along one side and the opposite side should have simple flat rollers on a flat surface. This is the intent of the LR3 design. The LR2 design was less constrained in where the wheels had to be, but the LR3 is now constrained in that dimension.

In theory it should be possible to modify some parts to use SBR20UU in place of the 608 bearings rolling on a tube, but I don’t think there is an advantage to doing so. The 608 bearings riding on a length of tube are already kinematically constrained, and I would think a SBR20UU would be more prone to problems with dirt.

4 Likes

Thanks for the input, a lot of that makes sense. The major issue we has in our shop was the bearings on the stainless steel tubing, as fine particles would land on them and the 608 bearings would ride across them and the dust would cake, so constant cleaning was required. I’m sure that someone was able to address this, I just never looked into it once we changed over to the linear bearing rails. With them we were able to get "sweeps that kept the rails clean and weekly air cleaning and checking kept it running very precise. Initial setup was a pain, but we made the table from precision cut and drilled aluminum then tig welded square and plum. I will def try it as it comes and see if its precise enough, the option is always there to upgrade later.
Thanks for the advice :slight_smile:

1 Like

Have you done it like Jamie supposed or did you actually use the linear rails? I‘d be interested in the possibility of a modification since that‘s the only thing that I do not like too much about the LR. :smiley: And no, it does not make sense. It‘s just a gut feeling. It works fine with one rail and one roller. :smiley: