PLA Types vs Performance

Isn’t it beautiful? PLA from dasfilament in Germany. I had a roll of white before that was too wet and printed badly, this one is in a drybox. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Well I just printed eSun PLA+ and it has a shinny/glossy finish to it. I have to say this filament printed about the best of any filament I have ever used. I got a pretty perfect benchy with it, minus some slight bridging issues. But this has been the first non-matte finish PLA that I have had great success with. Would highly recommend. I will try some other colors soon just to be sure.

3 Likes

A better view

I think we all want to know more about this!

3 Likes

Haha yes I was like 4.00 wow
I think you can boil the differences down to bbq lol
Shiny would be like sausage in a casing, wants to hold together.
Matte would be like using a jerky gun with only its binder holding it together haha.

1 Like

Interesting. eSun is the only brand PLA+ I’ve ever had warping with. It was a much larger piece than a benchy though. I’m sure it probably would have been fine if I printed inside my enclosure but it wasn’t necessary with any other brand PLA+ I’ve used.

Hatchbox matte filament is my favorite. I printed my entire lowrider v3 with the matte black and od green. It turned out great. Unfortunately the od green has now disappeared. I don’t know if it’s discontinued or just sold out but I haven’t been able to get more.

1 Like

So the place here locally (central CA) is called “Falling Prices”. Their gimmick is Tuesdays they get new stuff in, and each “item” is sold for $6, then Wednesday $5, and so on reducing to $1 per item on Sunday. Many times Tuesday is the best time to go for big ticket items (I got a $$400 drywall finish box on Tuesday before… and lots of other neat stuff but that’s the biggest $ value so far), but sometimes stuff that arrived Tuesday isn’t put out until later in the week. Most of the items they carry appear to be Amazon returns, and overstock from Target.

My wife likes to go for S&G’s once in a while, and she knows how to spot things I’m interested in. Spools of filament are easy to spot, but she was told by an employee they aren’t supposed to put them out for sale… instead they’re an item they typically remove from inventory to auction off online (not sure what site?). That said, I have large rubbermaid bins filled with all kinds of spools she picked up from Falling Prices… mostly PLA but also several spools of fancier stuff like taulman bridge, priline and amazon tpu, etc. Only downside is I don’t get to pick colors, but at these prices I could care less about color/brand.

Not sure if there are Falling Prices outlets near you, but if not maybe there’s something similar? I’m guessing they’ll be located near areas where the big box and major online retailers have warehousing/distribution centers, but I could be wrong.

2 Likes

That’s my ‘Go To’ filament. eSun PLA+. Literally any color they have, has been amazing for me. Stuff prints beautifully and is tough as nails!

3 Likes

I use inland tough pla, or overature pla+ when i print pla.

1 Like

This is about all I use. Rarely have any issues at all

1 Like

Same here. Been amazing. Went to order and see price went up. Must be evwryone finds it amazing too. I also used inland pla plus (one of them) and think it was esun rebranded.

1 Like

Because you guys said overture PLA is good I ordered their TPU. Normally I order filament that was made in Germany by “Das Filament” (they don’t have TPU at the moment though) or, if I feel like splurging, Prusament. One of the advantages of being in Europe. :smiley: